Synodontis Zebra Kutu

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
tarheelguy
Location 1: High Point, NC

Synodontis Zebra Kutu

Post by tarheelguy »

if anyone has any info on this fish i would greatly appreciate anything that someone has to offer. i saw this fish at my lfs and was unable to get any info due to the store being extremely busy due to an insane sale. thought the cat was really cool looking. how large does the fish get,water conditions,tankmates,etc.....
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

IIRC, it is just a very nice color morph of Synodontis nigriventris. Care, breeding, husbandry, etc. should be similar. How much are they going for?

Rusty
tarheelguy
Location 1: High Point, NC

Post by tarheelguy »

IIRC they were priced at $14.99. my lfs tends to be on the pricey side so i dont know if this is high/low or about right. thanks for the info.
ggdhazel
Location 1: Ft. Wayne, IN
Interests: Aquariums, Gardening, herps

Post by ggdhazel »

I saw another new one like that too. They had somthing marked at the lfs called "gold spot upsidedown cat" and it wasnt an angelicus. It looked more like a lancer cat. It had the same whisker config as other syn. but longer like the alberti's. But they were missing the comblike filaments on the lower whiskers. Are they able to manipulate synos. with crossbreeding now?
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Oh, Yes!
just do a search for Czech breeders or Czech hybrids, and you'll find a truckload of posts on this topic....
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Zebra Kutu is a variety of S. nigriventris, as Rusty noted. $15 sounds pricey to me.

Your "Gold-Spot Upside Down Cat" is almost certainly Mystus leucophasis. Not a Synodontis.

Dinyar
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

They cost about the same here. They keep their pattern as they grow, unlike the usual nigriventris, which tends to fade. They should be kept in a group so it would work out expensive.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)

Return to “African Catfishes”