newbie : breeding ancistrus - long post !!!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
perrush
Location 1: Belgium
Interests: tabletennis, Aquaria

newbie : breeding ancistrus - long post !!!

Post by perrush »

Hi all,

as said before, I want to try to breed L-nrs (H. Zebra if possible) but I don't have any experience with raising fry or something like that. For gaining experience some suggested that I tried the bristlenose first.

Today I was in a well known shop in Germany and saw a large, very active 4 inch long ancistrus male. So I thought : " thats what I need :P "

In the tank where, in my view, 2 varieties of ancistrus :

type 1 : The first was almost black with some feint dark brown stripes across the body. Of this sort my male is. They're were definitely 3 other males with antenne and 1 fish without antenne of the same size of this type in the tank.

type 2 : The second sort had more brown dots, like a leopard and were somewhat smaller. There ware 4 fish without antenne in the tank of this kind AND one WITH an antenne which was clearly a male.

Now the salesman said those with the dots (type 2) were the females, those black ones (type 1), the males. I didn't and still don't believe him :oops: but because he should know his job I took a large female of type 2 for my male instead of the type 1 without antenne.

What do you "experts" :wink: think about this story ?

Is the large black one (type 1) without the antenne just an immature male or could it be a female.
Are type 1 and 2 the same species ? Or do I have a pair which don't match :cry:

Here under a picture of my 'pair':
on the left the male (type1) on the right the female (type 2)

Well so far so good, how do I proceed from here ??

The tank will be 300 L (66 gallon) with a bottom space of 120 cm * 50 cm (47 * 20 inch). And the fish will be the only in there. Breeding cages, current, ... all will be provided.

Do I just hope this pair match and let them together alone. Or is it wise to purchase a female or 2 extra so the male can choose. Or is the tank big enough the even habitat 2 males and 4 females. Forming pairs will be much easier than, but I don't know how terrotorial they will be.

I'm open to all suggestions :)

:p Perrush :p
ikan
Location 1: Australia

Temmicki

Post by ikan »

I think you have 1 pair of L-181 Ancistrus Temmincki. I used to breed them and they are quite easy to keep. You already have a generously large size tank for them and feed them well and hopefully you see some action soon. Of course the more fish the more change you have. I fed mine Hikari sinking wafer and blood worm. They also eat slighly boiled zuchini and pumkin.
You can check Chill's webpage http://www.catfishworld.tk/ . He has an article on it. The picture shows the fish darker than yours but I am sure they are the same species.
Also a very good article on catfish of the month December 1998.
And if you have a spare tank why not get some young zebras let them grow together and by the time you have experience with raisng fry your zebras will be ready to spawn.
perrush
Location 1: Belgium
Interests: tabletennis, Aquaria

Post by perrush »

Tnx Ikan,

So it's normal for them to expose different patterns in the same species ?? The better :) now I have a pair.

I think I'll put another male and 3 females in, so they can have a big party ;-)

:p Perrush :p

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”