What do I need to know about medicating cories?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Nautica
Location 1: Michigan, USA

What do I need to know about medicating cories?

Post by Nautica »

I've heard that scale-less fish must be medicated differently than other fish with scales. I have two cories, one that may need medicating (another post on cory with a pimple). What is safe to use? What is not safe to use? If I'm not sure something is bacterial, fungal or parasitic is there something that hits them all or can they be combined?
philtre
My images: 3
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: sg

Post by philtre »

I actually find this topic very interesting ... can anyone share your experience?

thanks!
phil
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Nautica

Can you plese put your location in your profile, its just something that bugs me, not knowing where the person I am talking to is based.

Medicating Cory's is something that I find I rarely have the need to do. They are very well armoured which seams to keep most parasites away. I use one of two products called 'Cuprazin' and 'Protozin' for parasitis of bacterial infection. If the problem is viral then the problem is a whole lot different and an antibiotic is needed, Tetramycin or Auramycin (not sure about the spelling) is probably the most widely used. Obtaining it will usually mean a visit to the vet. It comes in powder form and the best way I have found to administer it is, soak a little in some flake food untill all the food is the same colour as the powder.

Ian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”