synodontis petricola: dwarf or ?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
barbara
Location 1: Maine, USA
Interests: fish, cats, meditation

synodontis petricola: dwarf or ?

Post by barbara »

Here is a link to several images of a couple of my 5 s. petricolas. Hopefully someone can help id them as dwarf or not.

http://8cats2manyfish.tripod.com/maitri/id9.html

Thanks Barbara
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

IMO, definetly dwarves. Nice gravid female!

Rusty
barbara

Post by barbara »

thanks!

I have been asking if the female is gravid (on the AF catfish forum) as there has been mega-activity in the tank in the last 24 hrs....beyond belief the amount of play! Have you bred/kept these fish? I've read the COTM article here but am looking for any experience, input others might have....or do I need to keep to just ID here?
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Yes, definitely S. petricola "dwarf". Hard to see "gravidity" in the pix, but it's possible.

Dinyar
barbara

Post by barbara »

Actually she is about half the size, belly-wise, in that photo as she was the previous night....and now she is back to near normal, but increased activity, although NOT frenzy, seem to be the order of the day today....interestingly, and perhaps not surprisingly, due to the increase in activity, they all seem to be scoping out the substrate for, what I assume, is food.

Someone on the Loach Forum posted regarding their s. petricolas and the 18 babies they have grown out to 1 1/2" so I am hoping to hear more from them regarding details of their success.

Thanks for your input (as usual!). I was pretty sure they were dwarf but hadn't known there were others until you mentioned it...thus began my wondering.

Barbara
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Lovely Snyo's Barbra! Nice to see you over here. :D
barbara

Post by barbara »

Thanks Graeme....we do get around don't we!! This is a wonderful resource as I am quickly finding out! Now to check the LF to see if N&R have responded about their synos!

Return to “What is my catfish?”