Auburn University develops hybrid catfish

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Auburn University develops hybrid catfish

Post by Jools »

natefrog
My cats species list: 24 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vancouver, B.C.

Post by natefrog »

I wonder if these fish are sterile?
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

natefrog wrote:I wonder if these fish are sterile?
:? Try reading the article...
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

That should make the bottom fall out of the catfish farming market. 7.5 cents per fingerling. I'm sure they have good intentions of feeding the world, (like with the rice that supposedly prevents blindness). I'd worry about them getting loose in the wild. I really enjoy the species we already have.
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Bronzefry wrote:That should make the bottom fall out of the catfish farming market. 7.5 cents per fingerling. I'm sure they have good intentions of feeding the world, (like with the rice that supposedly prevents blindness). I'd worry about them getting loose in the wild. I really enjoy the species we already have.

Why would the "bottom fall out"? They will cost more than 7.5 cents per 6" fingerling, the typical rate.

If they weren't sterile why would there be a buisiness built around their, Eagle Aquaculture, having "sole commercial rights to the hybrid technology".

Am I not understanding the article?
natefrog

Post by natefrog »

Actually I did read the article quite carefully.

What the article says is that blue and channels will not reproduce naturally, which does not preclude hybrid viability. The problem is that some, if not many of the genetically engineered, or selectivley bred plants and animals on the market are capable of reproducing with both their own kind, (meaning other hybrids), but also parent stock.

The article is not clear if the hybrids are sterile. It may be that they are using fertilization technology to establish a specific traits with consistent results, something that may not be possible with attempting to breed hybrid to hybrid.

Jools...I'm sorry if I did not make that clear in my initial question. I am always curious and asking many questions in my biology classes too, but I'll make sure I frame them correctly in the future.
natefrog

Post by natefrog »

Dave, your point about sole commercial rights is well taken; however, with genetically engineered products copyright can extend to perfectly viable organisms. Recently in canada a major GMO corporation sued a farmer and won on the claim that the farmer was growing canola that had been pollenated by the GMO crop in the neigboring field.

Also, recently one of the ivy league schools copyrighted a mouse with certain particular genetics used in cancer research. The mouse is also perfectly viable.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

natefrog wrote:Jools...I'm sorry if I did not make that clear in my initial question. I am always curious and asking many questions in my biology classes too, but I'll make sure I frame them correctly in the future.
No worries, I see the ambiguity now, I guess that's "old dog moderator" disease creeping in and I had just assumed you hadn't read the article as I had presumed they wouldn't go to the trouble of perpetually producing hybrid fingerlings if the fingerlings grew up viable.

Jools
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

No worries, either, Jools. :wink:
Osmium
Location 1: Scotland
Interests: Mathematics, fish. chess, and extreme observation .

Channel catfish x blue cats hybrids

Post by Osmium »

For the benefit of some of the less 'au fait' (to do) folks from Western Europe - catfish is considered a delicacy in many parts of the States - indeed many will consider it so, without even ever knowing the truth.

I refuse to cast judgement on such matters. To each his/her own, I say.

However several good points were raised here:-

I thought that the chan(n)el catfish was a CITES protected species (or is that the 'giant' European variety?.

Has the reverse proceedure been attempted; id est; breeding male channels onto female blue cats?

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a blue cat? Fishbase (and others) throw out the 'usual precise confusion' in the face of my local ignorance :lol:.

I thought that catfish consumption was on the decrease, and that the commercial fisheries were looking for other opportunities - perhaps they have found them.... or is this a last 'throw' of the dice?

Are these fish bred in the same way as other 'difficult' (and admittedly sometimes) 'endangered'/'extinct' fish such as Labeo, Epalzeorhynchos, Garra et cetera species. [I will refrain from going into exact details here.]?

Given the apparent 'hybrid vigour' of these creatures (again from an 'apparently neutral' position/viewpoint), is there not the slightest risk that they may escape into the wild and displace some of our naturally existing species?

Before we 'cloak' ourselves in 'self -righteousness', we should remember that it was we (homo sapiens), that caused the extinction (or partial extinction?) of the Neanderthal race, in order to guarantee our very own survival.

Just a thought - I'm more concerned about catfish generally than 'mankind'; not that the two can easily be separated (in terms of consequence and effect :( )

Nick.

P.S. A very good and thought-provoking, original post. Take a bow, Sir - I know that I did, upon seeing it. N.[/i]
Never turn your back on a true friend (fish or otherwise).
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I thought that the chan(n)el catfish was a CITES protected species (or is that the 'giant' European variety?
Far from it. If channel cats were as versatile as say, in adapting to foreign habitats, it'd be a pest (or a dangerous unwanted introduction). The only CITES-listed catfish is .
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a blue cat?
Osmium
Location 1: Scotland
Interests: Mathematics, fish. chess, and extreme observation .

Pangassion gigas (inter alia) - spellings differ

Post by Osmium »

:D Ah Sir,

You mean the endangered 'giant'.

What news on the Vietnamese/Thailand breeding project? I keep a photograph of an 'anglered' specimen, complete with angler as my screen-saver. Unpleasant as it may be - it reminds me not to confuse Pangionassius with Pangassius spp.

A cruel, if efficient reminder, and not nearly as gentle, nor as subtle as your own. Salute.

The other fish Ictalurus furcatus and Clarias gariepienus, I know nothing about. Thank you for you information.

I suspect that the latter is some sort of 'walking' cat though :lol: . Man, I used to have 'nighmares' about feeding these fish last thing at night, and waking up with them 'croaking/karaoking' in my ear :lol: hours later!

Arguably - the 'hardest', fish on the planet (after eels and lungfish). Rumours of them being 'raced'
upon lengths of 'bounded' carpet, abound :evil:.

Don't even think about it.

I saw some African (piebald/'albinos'('believed' to be Clarius angolensis (please correct me if I am wrong :oops: ) for sale a 'wee' while back.

I'm ashamed to say that I bought a sextet of tiny juvenile Jack Dempseys instead. Less bother apparently :lol: (cubed)

That was a wee while back.

Nick
Never turn your back on a true friend (fish or otherwise).

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”