Albino Cory eggs!!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
chrisinha
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: brooklyn, ny
Interests: animals, music, photography

Albino Cory eggs!!

Post by chrisinha »

I think my albino cory laid eggs!! :shock:
I dont have any snail and the other fish are livebearers and a common plecostomus!!

What should I do??
I dont know anything about fish eggs!! How long does it take them to hatch?? One of my filters (AQ 30) is protected because of the Mollies fry, but the penguin mini is not because it doesnt have a strong... hmm... "suction"?? Should I put a foam to protect the intake tube in this one as well??

GAH!!
~christie~
megladonsharky
Location 1: north idaho , usa

Post by megladonsharky »

I hope the experts come in fast for you... if you have a qt tank gently remove the eggs like mop them up with java moss or something simliar and place them in a seprate tank
chrisinha

Post by chrisinha »

I can't put them in my QT tank because I have 2 goldfish in there!! :shock:

I'm afraid the mollies or the pleco will eat them! :?

Can i put the eggs in a fry net, but leave them in the tank?
~christie~
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

It will take about 3 to 4 days for the eggs to hatch. Once the eggs have hatched it will take another 3-4 days for the yolk sacks to dissolve. Do not feed the fry untill the yolk sacks have fully dissolved. If you have no where else to hatch out the eggs you can try the net breeder or float a container in your tank. I use live baby brine shrimp as a first food. If that is not available you can try frozen baby brine, liquifry or one of the powdered fry foods. Be careful not over feed.

Mark
chrisinha

Post by chrisinha »

Thank you, Mark!

I removed the eggs and put them in a plastic container with tank water, but I want to put them in the net breeder.

Questions:

1) I have two types of breeder: the common net and the hard plastic one. Which one is better?

2) In case I put them in the NET breeder, will the mollies or guppies be able to crash the eggs from outside?? You know, they are "nosy" fish.

3) How can I know whether the eggs have been fertilized or not?

4) one of the cories look really fat, do you think she has more eggs to lay?

Thanks!
~christie~
natefrog
My cats species list: 24 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vancouver, B.C.

Post by natefrog »

I like the net brooders a little more. The water is able to circulate more effectivley through the mesh, just be sure the mesh size is not large enough for the fry to slip through. How many cories are in the tank? It is possible that you have more than one female? If so keep an eye on the tank and s soon as more eggs appear, gently transfer them to the net brooder. Good Luck!! There is really nothing better than having your fish produce a new generation, just be careful, breeding becomes addictive.
chrisinha

Post by chrisinha »

nah, it was totally unintentional of my part. Yes, I do think there's more than one female. I actually suspect that there is only ONE male. I have 5 cories.

The breeder has a very thin net. I gues I'll try it then.

Thanks!!

Chris
~christie~
chrisinha

Post by chrisinha »

Ok, a friend of mine thinks these might not be cory eggs after all, but snail eggs. i dont know how since i dont have snails in my tank and when i did have pond snails, the eggs didnt look like these.

so, what creatures are coming out of these things??? :shock: :shock:

~christie~
chrisinha

Post by chrisinha »

just to add, i've found one of the cories dead this morning. no signs of disease whatsoever prior to her death. i had done a water change yesterday, although my water params were fine for ammonia and nitrItes (both 0). NitrAtes are somewhat high, 50 ppm. And pH has always been 7.6. I didnt feed them last night.

What could have happened?

~christie~

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”