Stupid lfs names

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
T
Location 1: Bonnie Scotland

Stupid lfs names

Post by T »

Ok guys can you help me out here?

I saw three nice pl*cos today at the lfs but the names were obviously made up because I cant find them in the cat-e-log.

The first was labled as "banana pl*co" and looked like a gold nugget(L018) but it was long and slim(not chunky like a GN).In fact it reminded me of the lizard type pl*co's.

The second was labled as a "prince tiger pl*co" and it was more pekoltia looking but was about 4" and was yellowish brown with dark markings.

The third was not labled and the guy said it was closely related to clown pekoltias.It was small and the same shape as a clown but was chocolate brown with cream stripes(bands).

Sorry these are quite vague :?

Oh and is £20 a good price for healthy looking scribble pl*cos?

Thanks guys!!
T

Post by T »

I think the "prince tigers" are possibly L008, Leopard Peckoltia or L009, Smoky Peckoltia after looking through the cat-e-log.
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

T, actually, I think I know very possibly all 3 of them. for prince tiger pleco, check L207/L127, for the banana pleco, check hopliancitrus tricornis/L17, er, looks like in the catelog it's in with pseudancistrus, and lastly, look at the candy striped peckoltia/ peckoltia vittata, L015 for the tan and dark striped pleco, although there are many variations that could substitute for these fish, I think you'll find at least one's the right fish, maybe all 3
T

Post by T »

Yep looks like your spot about the banana pl*co.The prince tiger i'm pretty sure is L008 or L009.The candy stripe one could be the little one but when I get paid next friday he's coming home with me so I will post a pic of him for an ID.

Thanks for the help!!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”