Tank mates for zebra plecos.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
martin808
Location 1: preston,england
Interests: fishing

Tank mates for zebra plecos.

Post by martin808 »

Hi,
Ive recently bought four juvenile zebras with the view to try and breed them in the future.does anybody have any suggestions for mid to top water swimming companions that arent going to give the zebras any problems at feeding time.The tank is 36x15x15 do you think there would be room for more zebras aswell.
Im also experiencing problems feeding them because all they eat is bloodworm and lots of it :P but will not touch anything else such as prawn,krill and two different types of dry food (one of which they were feed in the shop) any ideas are very welcome. :headbang:
"The best thing about being me is their are so many of me" Agent Smith.
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Post by König Löwe »

I suppose you could have hatchetfish with them, they rarely go more than a few centimeters below the surface... You will have to keep a tight cover on the tank as they manage to get themselves out through any crack they can fin.
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

I had red mollies (really red with red eyes?) with them and they do a good job in clearing the floating bloodworms in the tank.
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

I keep mine with a gold mystery snail. Not very entertaining but he eats the extra food. He even eats out of my hand. :D
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
noki
Location 1: United States of the Bush Empire

Post by noki »

why not a classic like a school of Cardinal Tetras... two of the most spectacular freshwater fish with contrasting color schemes... can't believe they would or could bother the Zebras very much
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

If your current is strong, the cardinals might not be a good choice. And also being small sized, they will need extra time to consume those uneaten food, depending on how much you're feeding.
Saara
Location 1: Helsinki, Finland
Interests: jogging, reading

Post by Saara »

I have six zebras in a 170 l tank with strong current and high temperature. I have decided not to have any tank mates and I would suggest the same to you, if you are planning to spawn them or else you might consider taking the tank mates away when the zebras are full grown.

My zebras have eaten so far: shrimp, morquito larvae, zucchini, frozen fish and Tetra wafer mix. I place the food behind the powerhead, where the current is slower than elsewhere. When I serve them mosquito larvae I usually turn the powerhead (but not the canister filter I have) off for about 45 minutes and sometimes I even turn the lights off.
Ora et labora.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”