My vittatus are mating!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

My vittatus are mating!

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

I was just checkign my tank and the pretty new Corydoras vittatus are hunting through the tank with a smaller one hooking in with the biggest. theyve done that twice now but i havent found any eggs!?
Theres a whole bunch of other Corys and Plecos in there...dunno what the problem is...
Dont have an appropriate tank for them right now so ill leave them in there...
Temp 27°C ph 7.2 kh ~7 gh ~14 last waterchange 3 Days ago...pretty much current and aereation
cheers
Christian
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Nice one 8) keep an eye on them.With the long snouted species it is usually only a pair that spawn and the smaller of the two is more than likely the male.

Ian
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

update: theyve paired up 3 times now but i havent seen the fem place eggs...how big would they be?...between the pairings were about 5-10 minutes...during the pauses the fem chased away the male...i fear that if it layed eggs it might have been some cave which i can hardly check...would they be fine to spawn in a 25 litre setup? I dont have it running but if i have a chance on fry id certainly put it up!
Are they regularly spawned? ive seen the first report is from 1980...
cheers
Christian
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

THe egg are around 1.5mm ( don't remember exactly and don't have Ian's book under my eyes or close to me now) so even it is not huge you should be able to see them.

Corydoras spp don't lay eggs in caves but they would put in either on the glass of the tank on or under plants' leaves, in java moss, in spawning mop if you put one in the tank.

You sure can isolate the pair in a seperated tank and then conditionning to spawn again.

Wish you the best with them :-)

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

When they come together does the male grip the females barbels with his pectoral fin so they are locked together in a 'T' shape. If so watch the females ventral fins, they should be clamped togetherand when the male releases her there should be eggs held in the fins. They are about 1.2 mm in diameter and there should be from 2 - 10

They tend to like plants to deposit their eggs on but will put them almost any where but not in caves or hidden under rocks/drift wood etc. Cory eggs need water movement around them to keep them free from debris.

Ian
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Just for the public:
We pmed about it and im not so sure anymore if it was mating and not fighting.
But as ive seen fighting before this looked very different with all aspects of the cycle happening...i.e. swimming up and down the glass, chasing the female

I tried to remember every bit and think the fem might have placed the eggs behind a big piece of wood not easily accessible to me...

Ill set up a smaller tank for them.
cheers
Christian
Charly EON
My catfish: 23
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 59
Location 1: Bordeaux - FRANCE

Post by Charly EON »

Hello

I ve bred this speciees recently and they choosed mops to lay their eggs in. Be sure to have both floating and bottom mops

Charly

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”