pvc vs terra cotta (light vs dark) for spawning caves

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
khblock
Location 1: Georgia, USA

pvc vs terra cotta (light vs dark) for spawning caves

Post by khblock »

I would be interested in learning if the color of spawning caves, pvc white vs terra cotta dark, is preferred. Could forum members please state what type of spawning cave being used and success rate? I'm using pvc but ist too early to tell.

I'm looking to breed zebras in the future but would be interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully bred catfishes. I search for a thread on this subject and couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

k

http://www.blockstyle.com/zebra.htm
Kathy Block
----------------------------------------------------------------
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Khblock,
I use both but prefer black PVC mainly because it is easier tide. Actually my number one preference is bamboo as it is natural. Look under Ancistrus sp. Rio Chirgua, A. triradiatus, and Panaque maccus in the Cat-eLog for some photos of my PVC spawning tubes.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
khblock

black pvc, hmmmm

Post by khblock »

Hey Shane,

I looked at the black pvc pipe at my local home builder supply store and it looked like it had some kind of sticky film on it. I was worried because I didn't know what chemicals were used to make it and how it differed from the white. I remembered seeing pictures of the white pvc and dismissed the black altogether.

I took a look at your cave pictues in the cat-elog and I see your black pvc pipe. However, the pipes were vertical and not horizonal or was that the way the pictures were taken? If truly vertical, why?

Bamboo??? I like that idea. Do you leave it open ended or use something to plug the end making it into a cave. I would be worried if it were open at both ends. I think it may cause disputes. Two males eye to eye with each other claiming the cave for themselves.

Thanks agian,

Kathy
Kathy Block
khblock

Bamboo caves

Post by khblock »

Shane,
I forogt to ask...any pictures of the bamboo caves?

Kathy
Kathy Block
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Kathy,
Most of the pipes I use are verticle. I find that some fish seem to prefer them that way. I do not have any photos of bamboo pipes on hand. There are some in an article I wrote for TFH sometime ago but I do not remember the issue. Anyone have one laying around? Mine are all packed up. The bamboo is verticle like the PVC. I only use horizontal for loricariinae.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
worton[pl]
My images: 2
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Lublin, Poland
Location 2: Warsaw, Poland
Interests: catfishes, motorcycles

Post by worton[pl] »

hiya! :)
I wonder if you prepare bamboo pipes before put them in a tank or you just slice big branch of bamboo into smaller pipes and simply put them into tank?
TIA.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Just rinse and put in the tank.
-Shane
flwrbed
Location 1: central iowa

Post by flwrbed »

when making these caves do you cap the top or leave it open??
how big of pvc do you use, and how big is the opening??
is this posted in a diy section, if not it might be a great post!!!

im working with longfin plecos and clown plecos.
thanks
flwrbed
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

The top must be capped. With PVC this is easy. With bamboo you can make a cap from bamboo or silicone/crazy glue a rock or piece of wood for a natural cap. Opeing depends on the size of the fish. Usually about 1 inch by 1.5 inches wide, but larger for larger fish.
Good idea on the article. I'll make some in the near future and post step by step photos.
-Shane

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”