Fungus looks like cotton wool has attacked my ancistrus tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ikan
Location 1: Australia

Fungus looks like cotton wool has attacked my ancistrus tank

Post by ikan »

My ancistrus grow out tank has been attack by fungus that looks like very fine cotton wool. So far has killed at least half a dozen ancistrus and still affecting others. I have not used medication for a long time and this morning I decided to put a "cure all" medication (the green stuff) half strength.
Can someone help me as to what I should do? I have done a lot of water changes but I think I have to medicate the tank. This morning I saw some more fish with fungus.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

First before treating you shall ask yourself what cuase this?

Usually it has often to do with tank hygien: I suspect you are using a sand free tank to facilitate water change. How big is your tank and how often and how much do you change water.
Remebers that these young will mainly live on the bottom, so that region has to be very clean.

Also a tank too small and overcrowded won't help. Make sure to move the fry regulary into bigger tank or reduce the number per tank to ensure proper growth...

if the infection is so bad that you need to treat, make sure to use half the dose and folllow the indication given in the notice.

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
ikan

Flexibacter columnaris??

Post by ikan »

I have been searching on the net, I think it's probably Flexibacter columnaris. Bacteria not fungus. Apparently this can be transferred thorugh food. Recently I changed the staple diet to cyclop-eeze from sera flora flakes. I wonder if the food is contaminated or it polutes the water more than sera flora.

I think I will reduce the cyclop-eeze and balance it with sera flora.

I do water change twice a week 50-80%. Tank size 3x18x18 has about 100 ancistrus fry up to 4 cm long. The density has not change for 3 months.

Still I don't know what medication is tolerated and work on ancistrus. Since flexibacter is the most likely cause I like to medicate the tank for this specific bacteria. What should I use?
ikan

Still need advise

Post by ikan »

My LFS gave me some yellow powder (1 dose) to kill bacteria that might have caused the problem. It's a veterian product and he is not selling them.
The tank has been medicated for 4 days now and I still see fish with fungus like cotton wool on their mouths. I think if not eradicated it will eventually kill them.
Can anybody suggest what brand & product to use to kill common bad bacteria in catfish tank???
I don't know for sure the bacteria (could be fungus).
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Be careful with the bacterial killer: they will kill the bad ones but the good ones as well and you will have to go through all the cycles process all over again. Make sure to have an extra filter maturating in another tank ...

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
xinguinsis
Location 1: AUSTRALIA

treatment

Post by xinguinsis »

Hi Ikan,
I've copped a couple of hiddings with this one usually get it when the fish are being aggressive (coupled with hygiene) open wound etc and what your saying about the food doesn,t suprise me be careful with Hikari carnivore pellets theres something going on there. I saved a Peckoltia by dipping his fungused fin in full strength broad spectrum meds but don,t know if I'd do that round his head.
Regards Chris
ikan

Melafix

Post by ikan »

The medication that I am using is Melafix, it smells like tea tree and it's a natural product. But I quess if it kills bad bacteria it will kill the good ones too. I have no choice as it will get to other fish if I don't medicate the tank. A large ancistrus had a bad fungus/bacteria growth on it's mouth that I removed and I dipped it in full spectrum and salt solution for few minutes. It's doing well now.
But I have over 100 juveniles in this tank and it's difficult to individually medicate them. I lost at least a dozen fish in the last two weeks and I am trying to stop the spread. Not sure if this medication will cure the ones that have been infected.
Before I put the medication I noticed that uneaten food grow fungus (cotton wool) like in 1 night. I don't see them anymore.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”