Farlowella tail "fringes"

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Farlowella tail "fringes"

Post by Taratron »

I have 2 Farlowellas, species unknown, in my planted 29 gallon tank. Tank has a few zebra loaches, and some cories in there, and a trio of banjo cats, etc. The twig cats have grown nearly an inch each in the four months I have had them, and their tail filaments are growing nice and long as well! Water change schedule is 50% twice a week.

My question pertains, in fact, to another farlowella in a tank at the zoo where I work. The tank in question is lightly planted, 125 gallons, with 15 cardinal tetras, 2 discus, 3 amano shrimp, and 10 green cories. But this farlowella does not have filaments. Water change schedule is 15-30% once a week, sometimes twice.

The species appear very similar, perhaps even the same. So why doesn't the twig in the larger, less populated tank, have long filaments as well?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

It could be that the cichlids, or even shrimp, keep the filaments under control on the one at the zoo. There is also a bit of individual variation. I have had tanks that held only Rineloricaria and Farlowella and some always develop longer tail filaments. I do not think it is related to sex, but could be related to age, dominance, or just individualism.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”