leopard pleco

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

leopard pleco

Post by jscoggs27 »

Hi all. Just got a fish described as a Leopard Pl*co. I dont have a pic yet but looking at the cat e log it looks very similar to a Hypostomus Punctatus.
I'm new to keeping pl*cos so pls excuse me, Has anyone seen H punctatus described as a Leopard ? Its not a Leopard cactus pl*co (i think) It certainly was cheap but not as cheap as the Gibbiceps and common darker plecos. It has very atractive couloring, dark with orange yellow spots similar to gibbiceps but they appear smaller.
Ill try to get a pic if I can borrow a cam this week.
Thanks all

jason
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Your descripiton of the color pattern makes it sound like you have <i>Glyptoperichthys joselimaianus</i>. Could this be your fish (you can look it up in the Cat-eLog)?
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Post by jscoggs27 »

It does look very similar. There is one problem though. The one I have is only about 3 cm long and looks like so many different species. I will try to get some decent pics at different angles. The shop could not help with ID and didnt even seem to know where they came from. They were in a seperate tank from Gibbiceps(sailfins) and looked aolmost identical apart from slightly more defined spots and being much more active.

Thanks Silurus Ill get something sorted out. I would really like to get a positive ID.

jason
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

Small L001 look more striking than gibbys of same size .The super leopard cat L128 is completely different in colour and markings. Do you have a picture.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”