Pleco laying eggs

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
leish737
Location 1: un

Pleco laying eggs

Post by leish737 »

I have a common pleco which has started laying eggs. I have no male pleco though, just two oscars. We noticed the eggs under her belly about 4 days ago and they have been there since. It seems like they have to started to get "old", and there is a fuzzy layer around them almost fungus like i dont know if they are going bad or not. But they are still stuck on her and i dont know what i should do. Any information or suggestions would be helpful!

Heres the first pic i took of it i havent been able to get one of the more recent fuzziness:

Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Yup, the eggs are growing fungus (that's the fuzzy layer) and going bad. Try using a dropper to see if you can suck up the eggs or brush the eggs off of her.
Paladindjinn
Location 1: Dedham massachusetts

Post by Paladindjinn »

Well, you know your plec is a female and will breed, now you just gotta find a male if you wanna try your luck at breeding.
leish737

Post by leish737 »

Yeah we tried to brush some of them off her but they were really stuck on, but we got the majority of them. It looks red under her belly though almost like she were bleeding, it was tough to get them off she is about 9 inches and she was getting pretty mad.
leish737

Post by leish737 »

Well i came home from work today and she has died :-( i dunno what happened :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Chill
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 14
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Catfish L-Numbers

Post by Chill »

If you look closely at the fins on the pic, you can clearly see the red inflammation? on them.
I love L-numbers
leish737

Post by leish737 »

yeah but what would that be from? i thought maybe it had something to do with her laying eggs because thats when it started.
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Hmmm! This is something i want to know more of with Female fish species. With carry eggs for such a long time and not having a male to spawn with. I've herd plenty female fish die with "carrying".

Sorry about your loss. :(

Graeme.
leish737

Post by leish737 »

Yeah i'd like to know more also because i wasnt really sure what to do because there was no male. Maybe i'll have to get two next time just incase. My oscars are 8-9inches now so i dont know if i can find a new pleco that they wont think is dinner.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”