It's finally out: Armbruster's phylogeny of the Loricariidae

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

It's finally out: Armbruster's phylogeny of the Loricariidae

Post by Silurus »

Armbruster, JW, 2004. Phylogenetic relationships of the suckermouth armoured catfishes (Loricariidae) with emphasis on the Hypostominae and the Ancistrinae. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 141: 1-80.

Abstract

A phylogenetic analysis of nearly all genera of the Hypostominae and the Ancistrinae is provided based on osteology, external anatomy, and digestive tract anatomy. The results suggest that the Hypostominae is a paraphyletic assemblage. Delturus and Upsilodus form a monophyletic group sister to all other loricariids. Hemipsilichthys, Isbrueckerichthys, Kronichthys, and Pareiorhina form a monophyletic group with Neoplecostomus and the Hypoptopomatinae and are transferred to the Neoplecostominae. The remainder of the Hypostominae is made paraphyletic by the continuing recognition of the Ancistrinae. Ancistrinae is returned to the Hypostominae and recognized as a tribe, Ancistrini. In addition, four new tribes (Corymbophanini, Hypostomini, Pterygoplichthini, and Rhinelepini) are described. Hypostomus is also paraphyletic, the bulk of it forming a monophyletic clade with Aphanotorulus, Cochliodon, and Isorineloricaria. All of the potential monophyletic groups within Hypostomus grade into one another; therefore, Aphanotorulus, Cochliodon, and Isorineloricaria are placed in the synonymy of Hypostomus. Pterygoplichthys and Glyptoperichthys are also polyphyletic, and Liposarcus and Glyptoperichthys are recognized as synonyms of Pterygoplichthys. Sister to Pterygoplichthys is the Hemiancistrus annectens group (including Hypostomus panamensis) which represents an undescribed genus. The phylogeny presented is compared with previous hypotheses.

Looks like there's gonna be a lot of changes to the Cat-eLog.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

is there any chance to get this as a pdf?

edit: lol i found it and its only 37 bucks for nonsubscribers http://www.ingenta.com
cheers
Christian
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

its been a couple of days and it really suprises me that noone seems to have an opinion on this thing!?
Id like some comments from qualified pc folks so i could put this paper into perspective. I read most of it and what i understood is that its all such a mess that hes "lumping" for the time being so someone else whos willing can sort it out when time comes...
cheers
Christian
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Right now this is a nightmare - it's just too much - that said, I'm in the middle of adding in all l-numbers to the Cat-Elog. If I add them in as "DATZ" genera then I (in all probability) would be making a lot of work for myself later on.

I'm going to ponder this for a little while and then make a call on it but it is hard to imagine why we shouldn't follow Armbruster's work.

The changes are as follows and a split/grouped per tribe...

Acanthicus
Acanthodemus (is a synonym of Parancistrus)
Ancistomus (is a synonym of Hemiancistrus)
Ancistrus
Baryancistrus
Chaetostoma
Cordylancistrus
Dekeyseria
Dolichancistrus
Exastilithoxus
Guyanancistrus (is a synonym of Pseudancistrus)
Hemiancistrus
Hemiancistrus landoni
Hopliancistrus
Hypancistrus
Hypocolpterus (is a synonym of Chaetostoma)
Lasiancistrus
Leporacanthicus
Leptoancistrus
Lipopterichthys (is a synonym of Chaetostoma)
Lithoxancistrus (is a synonym of Pseudancistrus)
Lithoxus
Megalancistrus
Neblinichthys
Oligancistrus (is a synonym of Spectracanthicus)
Panaquolus [sic] (is a synonym of Panaque)
Panaque
Paralithoxus (is a synonym of Lithoxus)
Parancistrus
Peckoltia
Peckoltichthys (is a synonym of Peckoltia)
Pristiancistrus (is a synonym of Ancistrus)
Pseudacanthicus
Pseudancistrus
Pseudolithoxus
Scobinancistrus (is a synonym of Panaque)
Sophiancistrus (is a synonym of Peckoltia)
Spectracanthicus
Stoniella (is a synonym of Pseudacanthicus)
Thysanocara (is a synonym of Ancistrus)
Xenocara (is a synonym of Ancistrus)
Zonancistrus (is a synonym of Dekeyseria)

Corymbophanes

Aphanotorulus (is a synonym of Hypostomus)
Cheiridodus (is a synonym of Hypostomus)
Cochliodon (is a synonym of Hypostomus)
Hypostomus
Isorineloricaria (is a synonym of Hypostomus)
Squaliforma (is a synonym of Hypostomus)
Watawata (is a synonym of Hypostomus)

Glyptoperichthys (is a synonym of Pterygoplichthys)
Hemiancistrus annectens group
Liposarcus (is a synonym of Pterygoplichthys)
Pterygoplichthys

Canthopomus (is a synonym of Pseudorinelepis)
Monistiancistrus (is a synonym of Pseudorinelepis)
Pogonopoma
Pogonopomoides (is a synonym of Pogonopoma)
Pseudorinelepis
Rhinelepis

So, we say goodbye to 12 genera currently used in the Cat-eLog! That's already taking into account Cochliodon and Panaqolus. I also have to move anything labelled as Ancistrinae into Hypostominae. That's a lot of work, probably be months before it all is in place.

Jools
harroh
Location 1: Solingen

New subfamily - goodbye Ancistrinae

Post by harroh »

I think Armbruster has good arguments for his point of view. He wants to express phylogenetic relationships by generic names and therefore does not accept Weber's and Isbrücker et al.'s new genera.
Despite these changes it should be mentioned that Armbruster joined Ancistrinae and Hypostominae within one subfamily (Hypostominae) and announced the creation of a new subfamily soon, Delturinae.

Regards Harro

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”