species vs. subspecies

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Tom
Location 1: Michigan,USA

species vs. subspecies

Post by Tom »

How do they differentiate between a fish being a new species or a subspecies of an existing species? Please remember when you're answering this I'm not an Ichthyologist( hell, I probably can't even spell it!), so be as simple as possible.

Thanks,
Tom
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Ichthyology, like all empirical science, is driven by fashion. While the concept of sub-species is well accepted in most branches of vertebrate taxonomy, it is nowadays unfashionable in ichthyology. For example, there is only one species of tiger, Panthera tigris, divided into eight subspecies. If tigers were fish, we would erect a genus of Tigrinae and then recognize eight separate species, Tigris bengalensis, Tigris indochinensis, etc.

Moreover, ichthyologists are only just beginning to utilize statistical measures of significance in their species descriptions. Many descriptions still simply compare the means and standard deviations of two samples and cite any differences as proof of different "species". This is a bit like comparing two samples of say a hundred people from one place and another hundred from another place, finding that the average height of the two samples differed by say 3 cm, and concluding that each sample must therefore represent different species. It's ironic in some ways that you are nowadays more likely to see sophisticated use of statistical methods in, say, classics, than in ichthyology.

Dinyar
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Moreover, ichthyologists are only just beginning to utilize statistical measures of significance in their species descriptions.
This has actually been around for some time. The main reason it has not been (and is still not) extensively used is that statistical differences are difficult to translate into usable characters in the field.
aquaholic
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia
Interests: Catfish, tankbusters and cichlids

Post by aquaholic »

Whew..... I'm glad we got the SIMPLE reply then....
is there an even simpler one?

Winston
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

aquaholic wrote:Whew..... I'm glad we got the SIMPLE reply then....
is there an even simpler one?
Sure: there is no qualitative difference between species and subspecies. The dividing line is arbitrary and subjective.

The explanation why that is, is a bit more complicated though.
Whether distinct but similar populations are named as species or subspecies depends entirely on the subjective personal opinion of the systematist - if he happens to like big, inclusive, species (is a "lumper") then the population will be described as a subspecies, if he likes narrow, exclusive, species (is a "splitter") then the population will be described as species.

There is, as has been stated, a certain amount of cultural bias in this. I get the impression splitters are in the majority among south-american ichthyologists, exemplified by e.g. the myriads of very similar loricarid or Apistogramma species. By contrast ichthyologists working with african fish seem to have a tendency to be lumpers, perhaps best exemplified by the cikklid species of the rift lakes - e.g. the single species Tropheus brichardi spans well over a dozen morphologically and reproductively distinct "subspecies" which, had they been south-american Otocinclus or Apistogramma, would no doubt be considered separate species.

Or we can take the tiger, as it has already been mentioned. All tigers are considered to belong to one single species - and yet this one species consists of several reproductively isolated populations, quite different in size, ecology, and coloration. One species? Or eight?

There is no objectively right or wrong answer. It's all personal preference.
But the answer may be of some importance when it comes to raising money and political support for conservation of the animal.
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 244
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

Mike,
I think these explanation says it all...well writen.

Janne

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”