loricariidae genus run-down

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
ChrisM
Location 1: Boston, MA, USA

loricariidae genus run-down

Post by ChrisM »

I feel like I should be able to find this... but I haven't. I'm no good with the search function on forum sites. So, I'm sorry if this question has been asked a million times....

I'd like to find a complete but concise description of what (if any) visible physical characteristics are used to group the different loricariidae into their respective genuses. I find that some are easy to tell and others are not. For instance, I can be pretty sure when I'm looking at a Panaque, although I'd not be able to clearly say why I think it's a Panaque. I'm not really sure of the trends I've noticed and I doubt their the same ones the taxonomists are using.

So, I'd like a link to a written discription of what outward markers help distinguish the different genuses.

If you post your own information here, I guess that'd be helpful too. But, I'd really like to find a clear and organized article or website that I could bookmark and refer back to later on.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

There is no clearer place than Jon Armbruster's site.
ChrisM
Location 1: Boston, MA, USA

Post by ChrisM »

wow, this is certainly clear, but it does not look concise! I can figure it out, thanks a lot.

This is probably all the info I'll ever need.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”