L25 and l24

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
BK
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Wisconsin

L25 and l24

Post by BK »

What do you who have kept these fish think of them? I am thinking of getting one and/or the other eventually but was wondering what kind of experiences people have had with them. Are smaller (juvenile) specimens ever available, all I can find locally and online seem to be larger fish.
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

BK, I dunno what to tell you on smaller fish, I've never seen either for sale under 6 inches or so, although I am sure you could probably work something out.

as to experience, I've got my L025(9") in with my stingrays and it's very shy, as well as tearing up my sponge filters slowly. It refuses to eat when the lights are on, very strange in my experience with plecos, most of mine seem at least active enough to grab a few bites and then run back to the shade, and many will just sit and munch in the open. I haven't noticed any aggression, but it's in there with plecos 1/3rd it's size and 3 leopoldi rays which know well enough to leave plecos alone, especially the big spikey one. To it's credit, it's never sucked off of any of the rays that I can tell, and it's easy to see a nip they give each other, even with their tiny mouths. I've never seen it take a spirulina pellet, but that doesn't mean a thing, as I've had it for months and only observed it eating on the rare occasion I go spotlighting. This is, however the newest of my plecos, as well as the largest, and perhaps it will come around to diaurnal feedings.

Quite a beauty when she decides to come out though... that's newly in the tank, her fins are all healed completely now.

Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Well these are rather large fish growing up to 10-12inches, members of the genus Pseudacanthicus are also very territorial and some how also aggressive towards conspecifics and other Loricariidae. Of course these are more important when dealing with male rather than female.
You should feed them mainly meaty food.
Check the catfish of the month, there is article on Pseudacanthicus cf leopardus
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

I keep/kept L24 and P. cf. leopardus, in addition to a number of other Loricariids. In my personal opinion, Pseudacanthicus are the most visually attractive Loricariids available. They also seem to be the most reclusive. Haven't seen them harass other fish, but other fish don't mess with them.

L24 reaches about 20 cm, if I recall correctly. L25 gets considerably bigger, maybe twice that size.

Whereas I often see small P. cf. leopardus (down to 4 cm), the smallest L24 or L 25 I've seen has been about 12 cm.

Dinyar
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

Pseudoacanthicus cats are among my fav Lnos especially L273 but must admit lge L25 cats are simply amazing we recently had 3 over 12 inches in our shop and they sold within a week of being taken out of quarantine, we currently have 2 in @8inch and a juv @ 3inch I will try and send a pic of this one to be added on to the cat e log. L24 cats are usually easier to obtain for us but I have not yet had one over 5 inch in our shop.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”