Phylogeny of the Doradidae

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Phylogeny of the Doradidae

Post by Silurus »

Moyer, GR, BR Burr & C Krajewski, 2004. Phylogenetic relationships of thorny catfishes (Siluriformes: Doradidae) inferred from molecular and morphological data. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 140: 551-575.

Abstract
Doradidae is a putatively monophyletic group of South American freshwater catfishes containing 30 extant genera and 72 valid species. Only one study to date has attempted to estimate phylogenetic relationships among doradids. This morphological analysis partitioned species into two basal genera (Wertheimeria and Francisodoras) and a crown group of three subfamilies (Platydoradinae, Astrodoradinae and Doradinae) whose relationships were unresolved. No subsequent work has been done to resolve the subfamilial trichotomy or to assess whether postulated intergeneric relationships are accurate. We address this problem with complete sequences (2.5 kilobases, kb) of mitochondrial 12S and 16S rRNA genes and partial (1.3 kb) sequences of the nuclear elongation factor-1 alpha (EF1) gene from representatives of 23 doradid genera (43 species) and 13 outgroups from additional siluriform families. Phylogenetic analysis of these data yields strong support for the monophyly of Doradidae and Astrodoradinae (as well as other relationships), but otherwise shows significant conflict with morphological results. A partial re-examination of published morphological data indicates that many characters may have been incorrectly polarized and many taxa have incorrect state assignments. Our results provide a framework for ongoing efforts to describe the species-level diversity of this poorly understood neotropical family.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”