Perrunichthys Perruno

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Macka
Location 1: New Zealand
Interests: Fish!!!!!!!

Perrunichthys Perruno

Post by Macka »

I'm looking for any info on Perrrunichthys Perruno or Leiarius Pictus. I will be hopefully getting one of these monsters sortly. I was hoping to add it to my arowana tank. Has anyone got one? and what type of temperment do these guys have? Any help would be grateful. :D
TiGrInUs
Location 1: USA

Post by TiGrInUs »

I had one...I kept it with my silver arowana and a tiger shovelnose catfish. It grew very fast and ate alot! They get up to about 26". pH should be around 6.8...temp-80degrees F. Good Luck with it.
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

I had an L. Marmoratus which looks and acts probably the same as the P. Perruno. As Tigrinus says, dang things eat a lot. They outgrew my TSNs pretty quickly and are a gregarious lot. They swim the whole tank when you drop in food, any type. I fed them pellets, flakes, algae wafers (they were for my pl*cs but quickly snatched them up for themselves), small slices of squash (types that would fit in their mouths), clam bits, feeders (once or twice a month), shrimps. They even ate some potato chips that my son dropped in.

They are very hardy. Once, my filters were left off overnight by some helpers. The TSNs' barbels had already shortened and were already weakened but the other fish was still going strong. Should be nice to really grow. Get a big tank.
Macka
Location 1: New Zealand
Interests: Fish!!!!!!!

Post by Macka »

What sized tank would be the min?, and what would be more ideal? Thanks for the replys as i am having trouble finding info on this fish :D
PeacockBass
Location 1: the Net
Interests: Fish,Girls,Competition,Games

Post by PeacockBass »

Perrunos are very active and love to swim...

idd say minimum 300 gallons.. 8x3x2.... but the most Ideal tank size is 479 gallons. 8x4x2..

in any case Good luck
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

I had one for a while. I use to show it. Won a bunch of awards. Not real aggressive. If it fits in its mouth its food. Use to feed mine worms, any kind of sinking dry food, Plus 6" and under fish I use to get at auction cheap. Lived and grew up in a 75 gallon tank. One of the fastest growing fish I have ever seen or had. From under two inches to over 18 in six months. When he died he was around 2 feet.

First time I showed him I won three awards. Got so big I use to show in a 40 gallon breeded. I even made a custom stand that would break down nice an easy. Very hard fish to show because of size, smooth skin, and wiskers.

Sorry no pics.

Was able to handle almost any kind of ph and temp. Just watch out they can foul a tank quick and suck all the air out of the water.
Take Care,
Ivan
Keep the Fish Pure!
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

Ivan spot on. These cats grow really quickly I sold 1, 6mths back and it is now 20inch. The customer keeps in a 100gal tank which it has outgrown. So he needs a bigger tank (he was warned) so my advice would be dont buy unless you can put him in a pond or a very lge aquarium. Most of the zoos in our country are now refusing to accept these tankbusters so pretty soon I reckon interest in these fish will fall, and imports will stop.
PeacockBass

Post by PeacockBass »

STINGRAY wrote:, and imports will stop.
i sure hope so.. i see to many RTC's and B. FIlimentosa being sold to people with out the INdoor pond to suport them.
Dorad
My articles: 12
My images: 69
Spotted: 50
Location 1: Southampton, Hampshire, England
Interests: Catfish of all sizes. My main interests are with South American species although I do have a number of African species including Synodontis

Perrunichthys perruno/Leiarius pictus

Post by Dorad »

I have personally kept both of these fish over many years. They will rapidly outgrow a 72" aquarium. I purchased a 5" perruno about 12 months ago which is already 18" in length! I rescued a pictus 3 years ago when it was 18" in length, this fish now lives in my large tropical pond (1000 gallons) and is around 28" long. Quite a character always first to the food pushing the large doradids that I keep out of the way. If the large Oscar gets in the way it is grabbed by the pictus (in its mouth) and taken for a couple of circuits around the pond before being spat out in the corner!

This catfish will also take food from the surface of the pond. Its diet includes the following:

Whole mussels
Whole prawns
Large earthworms
Catfish pellets
Floating sticks
Algae wafers
Courgette

It has not attempted to eat any of the smaller occupants of the pond (mainly Synodontis). I have promised Jools that I will write an information sheet on the pictus, so as they say watch this space.

Dorad
PeacockBass

Post by PeacockBass »

i purchesed a L. Pictus at the size of 8 inches and he rapidly grew to 19 inches.. out grew my 180 gallon ... i gave him to a freind who has a 1600 gallon and he is now 24-5 inches and is a super agresive eater..

nice fish... my fav catfish.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”