Spotted Orange Seam L106/L122.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
RaYne
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Ontario, Canada

Spotted Orange Seam L106/L122.

Post by RaYne »

I bought a spotted orange seam Dec.24 2003 and had him positively identfied here. He's doing well and eating like a pig, but doesn't seem to be growing at all. He's still and inch and a half in size. Are they a slow growing plec?

Also he is a very picky eater. Nothing prepared, or frozen is eaten. He will only eat fresh Zuchinni if I freeze and thaw it he won't touch it, cucumber and lettuce. Even algae wafers are left untouched. Any suggestions on what other foods I can try and offer him?

Thanks,
Linda
DeepFriedIctalurus
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Saginaw River basin, US
Interests: anything powered by an internal combustion engine, non-feathered/furred pets, anti-ignorance activism

Post by DeepFriedIctalurus »

Well the battle's actually over Linda, it eats!
All that really means is that if you want him to eat other foods, just feed it anything but the fresh zucchini. Almost any fish can get finnicky if they find something they like and a gracious keeper who'll give it to them.
Don't worry about starving it if the fish is healthy, as in no sunken belly. Just keep an eye on uneaten food and clean it up before it rots. Something like frozen bloodworms could get a good response. Also, have you tried feeding after lights out? Might make it a little more comfortable w/ investigating something new.

And don't worry about slow growth, sometimes a ple co needs a month or 2 to settle in and regain it's strength from the stress/starvation of import. The live or frozen foods really help with this, even for mostly vegetarian fish.

Good luck, and keep us posted..

Tyler

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”