Looking for a recomendation...

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Crazie.Eddie
Location 1: Illinois

Looking for a recomendation...

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

I currently have a 55 gallon FW tank with (2) Angelfish, (11) Harlequin Red Rasboras, (5) Clown Loaches, & (1) African Butterfly. I'm looking at the L183 (Starlight Bristlenose), but I'm concerned about the black water paremeters. My temp is kept around 79 degrees F, pH is about 7.4, and slightly hard. I'm not sure if the L-183 can be acclimated to my freshwater tank. If not, any other recommendations? I want to stay rather small (around 4") and a vegaterian (as to help clean the tank). I want something vibrant and cool looking as well. I know the common pleco can do the job, but I don't like it's plain color and rather large size. (sorry for those common pl*co lovers) :D

I've kept Otocinclus, but not having too much success in their lifespan. They would be fine in the tanks for a couple of months, then one would die. No signs of problems. Then another one would die after a few months later. I test my waters every week with no signs of trouble. I'm not sure if it was something it ate or maybe it's already at the end of it's lifespan. I have heard that they are somewhat sensitive to water paremeters, but still confused about their deaths, since I have had tetras (Neons before, Cardinals now) and had no problems with them and they are probably just as sensitive (maybe more) to water parameters. This is why I'm looking at another type of pl*co. I currently have a Gold Nugget and L-333 in my 37 gallon tank along with Cardinal Tetras and a dwarf Gourami, which is going to be my show tank. The tank seem pretty clean there, although, it is only about 3 months old.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
- Ed

125 Gallon (1*L018 Gold Nugget, 1*L204 Flash, 1*L260 Queen Arabesque, 5*Discus, 5*Angels, 5*Clown loaches, 8*Harlequin Rasboras, 3*Rainbowfishes, 5*Otocinclus, 7*Cories)
20 Gallon Long (2*L046 Zebras, 1*L183 Starlight Bristlenose, 10+* Cherry shrimp, 4*Otocinclus)
20 Gallon Long (20+* Cherry shrimp, 5*Amano shrimp, 2*Bamboo shrimp)
patrickstockton
Location 1: Portland, Oregon USA

get a maccus

Post by patrickstockton »

in my experience the panaque maccus or "Clown Pleco" (available in a three different L-numbers, i believe) grow to around the 4" size at maturity. My L104 seems to have stopped growing at about 3.5" (8.5cm) and is very colorful, beautiful and friendly. It is a gorgeous orange on chocolate colored fish with a penchant for rift wood.
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

The L183 should be fine unless you plan to spawn them. My most recent pair has been grown out in pH 8.0 TDS 380 and still managed to spawn in that tank twice. None of the fry survived, but the spawning alone was a surprise. They are now in my Ancistrus spawning rack and at it again. In the end, without getting too far off topic, they should be fine in that tank.

Larry Vires
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”