One of my zebras looks ill/injured

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
JohnnyOscar
Location 1: London, UK

One of my zebras looks ill/injured

Post by JohnnyOscar »

Sorry no pic and only patchy tank stats, but can anyone help my little zebra out.

Overnight, one of my three zebra plecos has developed an ugly, irregular bronzish patch under its right eye. It also has a smaller round bronzish patch just above its right pelvic fin. The fish appears to be breathing and moving normally. Any ideas what could have happened to my fish?

No (other) obvious sign of injury or disease.

The other two zebras, two gold nuggets, four flash plecos and a golden heterodon all look fine.

The tank has been running for about eight months and the latest additions (the zebras) went in three weeks ago. The pH is 7.6. I've no idea about nitrates, nitrites or ammonia, but as the tank is mature, very clean, and has two large filters turning the tank over about 7 or 8 times an hour, so we can assume they are within acceptible limits. Anyway, all the other fish are very healthy.

Any ideas what could be affecting my poor zebra? Anything I can do to help? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
JohnnyOscar

Post by JohnnyOscar »

Well, I did a water change and added some Melafix, but the little guy didn't make it. :cry: After it had died I took a good look at it under a hand lens and found a serious injury on its belly. It looks like a straight laceration almost 1.5mm long. I didn't investigate the depth of the wound, but the round "bronze patch" above its right pelvic fin suggests it went through quite a bit of flesh (ie. almost came out the other side).

My guess is that the poor fish was killed in a fight with one of its tankmates. By the looks of it, they were fighting top-to-tail and the assailant's fatal bow came when a pectoral fin spine punctured its undercarriage.

So who is the killer? A rogue flash pleco? That spiteful gold nugget? the mysterious golden heterodon? That crafty L114? More to the point: how can I avoid it happeneing again? Is this just a freak accident, or do I have a problem with my tank that needs attention?
jurassic_pork
Location 1: midlands U.K

Post by jurassic_pork »

May sound silly but....Is there any sharp rock slate etc in the tank ?
JohnnyOscar

Post by JohnnyOscar »

No, there's nothing sharp in the tank. The substrate is smooth gravel, rounded river cobbles and bogwood.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”