Undergravel Filters

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
paul_southend2k
Location 1: Southend on Sea, Essex, UK
Interests: Tropical Fish, Cars, People

Undergravel Filters

Post by paul_southend2k »

I want to stop using my Undergravel filter, is it ok just to take out the tube and powerhead and leave the bottom tray in???
MackIntheBox
Location 1: Dallas, TX

Re: Undergravel Filters

Post by MackIntheBox »

paul_southend2k wrote:I want to stop using my Undergravel filter, is it ok just to take out the tube and powerhead and leave the bottom tray in???
IMO, no, this leaves an area where you substrate doesnt cover the bottom of the tank. with the UGF water would be moving and passing through this area with the substrate acting as the filter. When you stop the waterflowing you can have any number of things build up inbetween the plastic of the UGF and the glass of the tank, this can cause problems by allowing food and other material (i.e. popp!) build up and foul the water. you definitly want to remove the UGF plate if you are changing to a different filtering method.

on a side note, dont you have to remove the gravel and UGF anyone periodicly to wash eveything? Just like a normal filter the food and junk is going to build up and need to be washed away, no? Ive never really used an UGF, so if Im wrong someone please say so ;)
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
The Doctor (Robot, 1974/5)
TheSlackersLounge Home for Slackers ;)
SLAP, SLAP, SQUISH! (Penny-Arcade)
bigward
Location 1: Hartlepool - U.K.
Interests: Anything Fishy ........

Post by bigward »

I have a UGF with two power heads in my tank - I got this instead of a external filter due to the LFS saying to me that they have UGF's in ALL their tanks and they have never had any problems.....some of the tanks have been going for well over 10 years and the UGF's have NEVER had to removed and cleaned. Just the usual gravel cleaning..........

I am NO expert in this matter so I could be wrong, just passing on what I have been told
"Toodle ooo"

Comic Book Guy
MackIntheBox
Location 1: Dallas, TX

Post by MackIntheBox »

bigward wrote:I have a UGF with two power heads in my tank - I got this instead of a external filter due to the LFS saying to me that they have UGF's in ALL their tanks and they have never had any problems.....some of the tanks have been going for well over 10 years and the UGF's have NEVER had to removed and cleaned. Just the usual gravel cleaning..........
Would normal gravel cleaning simply be siphon vacuuming the gravel? or something else? I havent used a UGF myself so I really dont know what maintenance it requires.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
The Doctor (Robot, 1974/5)
TheSlackersLounge Home for Slackers ;)
SLAP, SLAP, SQUISH! (Penny-Arcade)
bigward
Location 1: Hartlepool - U.K.
Interests: Anything Fishy ........

Post by bigward »

Indeed ........ I just syphon the gravel slowly using a normal vaccum - it works for me. :P
"Toodle ooo"

Comic Book Guy
Crazie.Eddie
Location 1: Illinois

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

I used UGFs on all my tanks (55 gallon, 20 gallon, and 10 gallon) and had no problems. For gravel cleaning, you need to thoroughly gravel vac the substrate. Also, on a 3-6 months, you need to stick your gravel vac hose down the uplift tube to suck up any debris there. Also do the same on all the covered openings on the UGF plate.

If you do not want to use the UGF, NEVER just turn it off. You need to remove the plates. How big is your tank? Are you using a powerhead with the UGF or just an airline tube to an airpump?
- Ed

125 Gallon (1*L018 Gold Nugget, 1*L204 Flash, 1*L260 Queen Arabesque, 5*Discus, 5*Angels, 5*Clown loaches, 8*Harlequin Rasboras, 3*Rainbowfishes, 5*Otocinclus, 7*Cories)
20 Gallon Long (2*L046 Zebras, 1*L183 Starlight Bristlenose, 10+* Cherry shrimp, 4*Otocinclus)
20 Gallon Long (20+* Cherry shrimp, 5*Amano shrimp, 2*Bamboo shrimp)

Return to “Tank Talk”