{Devil's Advocate}Agrument:Inte-species breeding (plecos +)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
FiSHYBiZNESS
Location 1: Orlando FL
Interests: Aquarium NE thing

{Devil's Advocate}Agrument:Inte-species breeding (plecos +)

Post by FiSHYBiZNESS »

I have been reading here awhile and have noticed a general concensus on not inter-breeding plecos. i have been inter-breeding platy live bearers for quite some time now and have created atleast 2 genuine 'new' hybrids. i have to get them to reproduce yet but this is after 1 and 1/2 years intense breeding (and darwinian style selection) :) why are plecos so taboo to interbreed? i am not by any means saying/suggesting to sell openly these new hybrids or propgate them widely under false names, due to the little amount of existing knowledge of plecos in the 'wild' keep in mind that no matter how good our setups we will never completely simulate "nature". Hybridization is a socialogical phenomenon known as domestication. Here is a proposition to satisfy both sides: keep hybrid and 'true bloods' separate, both nomencalature wise and sales. This translates to responsible breeders and fish shops.

Cheers!
Dale90g
Location 1: Erie, PA USA

Post by Dale90g »

Platys are generally the same fish, man has already modified for different colors, fin sizes and body shapes. Did you get your fish from the wild, different streams or rivers? Plecos have very similiar body shape, but are unique. It would be similar to breeding an bald eagle with a golden eagle. You have a different animal, that is not natural. Man/woman has the ability to create a new pleco, but I think the thought is to keep natural species, and not muddy the water with the new hybrid species. Now if someone kept breeding plecos of the same species, extending finage or colors, there is less of a problem. Also, you are breeding platys, how do feel about mixing platys with guppies? That is just not a natural occurance.
Dale Davison
FiSHYBiZNESS

Post by FiSHYBiZNESS »

Actually funny u mention x-breed species like that. guppie and platy (generic) genes arent compatible (to my knowledge), however the sword tail and the platy can be sucessfully x-bred and with little effort. one the flip of the coin what if the plecos came from the same river system? they could encounter each other 'naturally'
Dale90g
Location 1: Erie, PA USA

Post by Dale90g »

But if they would be in the same location naturally, they usually have differences so they would not mate. Something keeps them from being attracted to each other - the size, colors or behavior do not match up. When we take one type from one stream, and introduce them to another from another stream, there is a chance they may find a compatible match. Now you have a new fish. And yes, the platy/guppy was just to get you thinking about differences. But new plecos are still being discovered, and in need of identification. It would make it so much more difficult if we start creating new ones. Keep the species straight, or we may lose them forever. Have heard of forestation and pollution ruining habitats, so that the only fish alive are kept by man. If someone decides to do it, can't stop them, it is ones opinion of what to do.
Dale Davison
FiSHYBiZNESS

Post by FiSHYBiZNESS »

just to keep the discussion moving... :D One reason the latin-based nomenclature system was developed was to allow for the discovery of new species and the evolution (in real time) of other species. A good example is sub-naming ie : homo sapiens sapiens. how do we know (since such a small amount is known) that the "new" species that are being discovered arent divergents of the same family just differently adapted for a slightly different food niche. My point is simple, i am not suggesting breeding asian and south american plecos (for an obsurd exa). just to exploit the traits that are more appealing, by selectively breeding from one gene pool of one species is doing just as much harm as interbreeding from the same family. Highly selected 'purebreds' could lead to disese or undesirable mutation (genetic) that could in turn infect a larger gene pool. i think the fundamental argument here is very basic: be a responsible breeder by keeping good records of what you are doing no matter the desired out come to prevent random anomolylies. Scientist (true scientist) with proper equipement could determine the species regardless of the hybrid. I think the reason that there is so little 'data' is because science inclined hobbists are the ones that are carring out most of the research in this area.

just a thought, keep in mind i am not picking just interested in furthering the study!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”