cycle question

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
windgirl
Location 1: Canada
Interests: windsurfing, and water anything.

cycle question

Post by windgirl »

I was wondering which method of cycling takes the sortest amount of time and how long it may take.

I have asked simular Qs on this tank trouble but have not got a reply. So, I'm setting up my 20G again ... it's fixed and not leaking. I'm currently using the filter in the 10G to help aid a sponge filter. I have the old gravel, plastic plants and heater on the 20G. I want to cycle this tank fast ... I know there are fishless and fish methods of cycling. Which is faster and how long will it take before the tank is safe to add the two male guppies and bushynose pl*co. I also plan to add some new fish.

The filter problem remains, I need to put the filter back on the 20G ... is the filter media going to be a problem in the 20G and is the sponge filter in the 10G going to be able to stand alone (i have a sponge filter in there becasue I plan to use the tank for any fry the female guppies drop)? I plan to keep the three albino corys and 2 female guppies in the 10G. I plan to keep some female fry in the 10G as well when that happens.

Secondly, I saw this long fish at petsmart (1 inch long with brown with a horizontal dark stripe(s). looks like a minnow put if I remember right it had whiskers ... they also had white ones). Its called a Algea Eater. The scinetific name (I can't remember) has the initials G L. Anyone know what this is?? And if it will me hardy and live happy in either the 10G or 20G

Any help will be much appricated ... I got to get this tank stuff straight. Thanks,
30G - 4 common goldies (Neil Pryde, Jimmy Lewis and the twins) and 1 common pl*co (shark)
<O)>>< Building a web site with my other tanks and more info.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

HERE are some links to articles on cycling your aquarium. To be honest, I hadn't answered your earlier post because it was quite confusing trying to figure out what you were asking. The fishless cycling method should be quite a bit faster, but if you are moving all of the fish from the 10, into the 20 when you move the filter, just move the water also? Then the tank is basically jumpstarted?

I would seriously avoid any fish they sell as an algae eater, they are usually chinese algae eaters that do very little algae eating and get pretty aggressive as they get older, IMO. I also wouldn't buy any new fish for your tanks until they are up and stable for a month or two after all the moving around.

Barbie
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The scinetific name (I can't remember) has the initials G L
That would be Gyrinocheilus aymonieri, the Chinese algae eater. As Barbie said, an extremely bad choice.
windgirl
Location 1: Canada
Interests: windsurfing, and water anything.

ok

Post by windgirl »

:oops: Ok ... I'm sorry about the confusing post before. I will try to keep things simple in the future. I guess I'll figure out what I'm going to do first, Ithink I'll do that fishless cycle before I add the bushynose and male guppies. I wish I could move em all but I decided to use the 10G as a bit of a fry tank ... the female guppies will be staying there. The males have to be moved because I don't have a good ratio of males and female (or so I'm told). I want to move the bushynose pl*co because I feel he will need the room to grow.

The cories seem content and are peacful enough to no harm fry and don't have a aggressive bone in their body. One question on that one; How many cories is it ok to keep in a 10G? I'd like to add some if I don't already have to many.

Second question; Should I buy a extra filter for the 10G or will the sponge filter do its job?
30G - 4 common goldies (Neil Pryde, Jimmy Lewis and the twins) and 1 common pl*co (shark)
<O)>>< Building a web site with my other tanks and more info.
Crazie.Eddie
Location 1: Illinois

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

The sponge filter should work, but would only provide bioligical filtration. You should try to have chemical/mechanical as well. It's normally recommended to get a filter that supports a bigger tank than the one you have. I currently have an Eheim 2128 (supports 180 gal) on my 55 gal tank, Emperor 400 (supports 80 gal) on my 20 gal tank, and an Emperer 280 (supports 50 gal) on my 10 gallon tank. Since most people overstock their tanks (should be 1" of fish per gallon), including moi, having a larger filter for the tank keeps the tanks cleaner. I used to use the Emperor 400 with a UGF and powerheads on my 55 gal, Emperor 280 with a UGF and powerhead on my 20 gal, and UGF with powerhead on my 10 gal tank.

Regarding how many corys in a 10 gallon tank? The ratio should be 1:1 (1" of fish for each gallon), so it depends on what you have there or will have there now.

Return to “Tank Talk”