Peacock gobies, bronze cories, and a fry tank....

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Peacock gobies, bronze cories, and a fry tank....

Post by Taratron »

Here's the scoop.

For Xmas, I got to set up a 10 gallon fry tank in my bathroom. Of all the places for a tank, eh? But it's a sweet deal, nonetheless.

The tank is planted, bare bottom. Lots of java moss, hornwort, duckweed, the usual trio I can get to grow in my water. 1.5 watts per gallon. Tank has a sponge filter, homemade (basically an AC500 sponge cut in half, with a section of tubing down it, air stone attached), and I recently added a four-inch long "bubble wall" for more aeration.

My question therein lies with the filtering. I have around 10 bronze cory fry in the tank, and I do plan to remove all but 4 or 5 of them (I hope to use this tank as both a breeding and a fry raising tank--plan is to remove the eggs when spawned, hatch them separately, and when the fry get to a safe size, place them back with their parents, repeat cycle...question #1, would this work?). 6 peacock goby fry, whom I also hope to keep in this same tank, are in the tank as well.

Is it really feasible to have cory fry with adults? Would the adult cories try to munch down on the babies, or would the peacock gobies?

And if by some chance, the babies would have adequate chance to survive, with the plants included and all, would it be safe to power this tank JUST with the sponge filter? Would the addition of another sponge filter be needed, or would I need to actually purchase a "regular" filter, like another AquaClear?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Peacock gudgeons will happily inhale anything that fits in their mouth, and even things you didn't think would, IME. They're great fish though. It sounds like your 10 gallon is going to have a pretty serious fish load, in short order. I'd consider just getting a bigger tank for the gudgeons and cories, if it was me, then you'd have the 10 gallon to raise fry in.

Barbie
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

So I'm guessing that even with cover, very low probability that the cory fry would make it with peacock gobies in the tank?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Return to “Tank Talk”