i need recamendations on fish

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
sharpshootercatfish
Location 1: U.S. MICHIGAN
Interests: loves rapheals

i need recamendations on fish

Post by sharpshootercatfish »

I'm not sure wut kind of catfish I should get next,I have room for about 7'' inch fish left
I want recamendations,must be small up to 7'' at max non agresive active bottom-mid swimmer not nocturnal.let me hear some fish names.(i need the common name as im not good with sci names)
I am sharpshooter, and you'll never know I'm there until it's too late....
sharpshootercatfish

oh yea and must be cheap im not full of money
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Sharpshootercatfish
"no respect for the doradids huh
do you not like big spiny fish
my god this is wrong
c'mon people think big
doradid big,cory small. big,small,big,small,BIG!
think BIG!! "

I think you ought to try a Dorad :wink:

Ian
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

A Pseudadoras niger would fit in nicely, dontcha think :wink:

Seriously, what other fish do you have in the tank?
sharpshootercatfish

spotted rapheal,2 clown loach,red lip loach,2 four line pictus,common pleco,whiptail cat,2 pepper cory.

(and enough jokes on the doradid or dorad or what ever obviously u peeps dont care for them all that much)
smilingSyno
Location 1: Florida, USA
Interests: Synodontis, Corydoras, Hoplos, Plecos etc.

Post by smilingSyno »

Why don't you just get some more pepper cories if you have the room.
They would be happier in a group of about 6. What size tank is it?
sharpshootercatfish

40-gal high but all fish are very youg bigest fish is 3''
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Post by Zack »

Deffinately get a pictus. Not a four line but a pimpictus, I just baught a few for my 55 gallon tank and they are constantly active,great looking fish,and are excellent bottomb cleaners. They are way more active than dorads.I think a niger would get too big for your tank. Wait i know they would. Oh you could also try some upside downs. Good luck
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Zack,

Just curious why you would recommend a spotted pim over a four-line pim. I've kept both and AFAIK, they're of the same temperament.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Maybe because Pimelodus pictus stays a lot smaller than Pimelodus maculatus? If it gets about the same size, you probably have Pimelodus clarias instead of pictus.
Why not try some Syno? they swim all over the tank, not just on the bottom, they're social, moderately cheap to dirtcheap (exept Granulosus :wink: ), very though and often come with stunning coloration.
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Post by Zack »

In my opiniont the pictus is a better looking fish they stay smaller and from what iv heard are more active than the four line. The tempermant is probably the same but the amount of activity is what differs. Also pictus are usualy easier to find and are cheaper than four lines (in my experience atleast). Four line are also nice fish and if you have room a couple of each would be nice. Synos would also be nice although most like a higher ph. Remember not to put too much in there. As you already have quite a few fish (it doesnt seem like it now but when those clowns hit a foot,the pleco a foot or more, and the four lines hit seven or eight inches it will). Good luck though and let us know what you choose.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
sharpshootercatfish

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: A large plague of ich has struck my tank and i cought it to late to save the fish being a child i was broken yet i learned more respect for the tank and i need to thuroly check each fish before purchase (that damed red lip loach) he was the careyer, becuase of my carelessness 1 clownloach died, my fav spotty rapheal died, my 2 four line pictus died,and the red lip died. after that I decided no more fish would die i took a risky 55% water change and pecause of my home water quality it desimated the desiese and luckily did not send my servivers into shock, the tank is cleaner than it was when I first set it up and the water is clear as a crystal(literaly there is no dirt clouds and I can see right through the water as if looking into a river or a brook the coloration on the survivers is brighter than ever!) i'm giving the 2 cories to my grandma and the pleco 2 my sister, I will keep the whiptail and the last loach.In 3 days I will get 1 5'' spotty rapheal,1 more clown loach so the other will have a playmate and posibly a spined peacock eel ( my last zig zag eel was sucked up my powerhead becuas he sliped throu my under filter. If anyone knows how to prevent this let me know). if any one has ideas or suggestions just let me know by replying or e-mail me at karn_silvergolem@msn.com

Return to “Tank Talk”