Clown pleco lifespan

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mwood322
Location 1: Boston, MA USA

Clown pleco lifespan

Post by mwood322 »

Hi,

How long can I expect with good care a clown pleco to live? It has never grown in the time I've had it, which is pushing 3 1/2 years. I found him this afternoon while I was doing my water change, very lethargic, somewhat shredded fins, and a few marks on his body. He's still alive, but not swimming on his own, and has rapidly lost weight. As of last week he looked fairly good. Everyone else in the tank is accounted for and not showing the same symptoms which is why I was thinking of age. If he's expected to live longer into iso he goes.

As for species he is probably a maccus, or whichever species is now imported as the common clown pleco. He looked just like everyone else in the tank, so probably not an interesting contaminant.

--Mia
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

Hello,

I had a colony of 5 breeders that were over 10 years when they passed away. Even then, it was an internal bacterial infection that did them in. I have to assume that they could have done nearly double that if the problem hadn't shown up.

Larry Vires
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

My friends oldest pleco to date was a clown, it was 16 when he lost it.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”