What kind of Powerhead should I get?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
SirHelm
Location 1: San Jose, CA USA

What kind of Powerhead should I get?

Post by SirHelm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I just got a new 100gallon tenecor simplicity plus system with a built in wet dry filter. Currently the return pump is a rio 400. I want to add another powerhead into the tank for increased circulation/areation/current/and filtering. I bought another RIO power head 400 with a double motion duck bill setup. However the rio was a bit loud and I think I was not getting enough circulation.

I had an older penguin 1140 which I tested in the water and it was ultra quiet. However it has no mounting bracket and I broke the output tube trying to jam the duck bill attachment into it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommentdations for a really good powerhead that is silent yet powerful enough for my 100g?

BTW I am not using an under gravel filter. I would be adding a sponge filter to the powerhead.

Thanks for your help

SH
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

The 1140 has been the most powerful and quiet powerhead I have used. Coupled with a big sponge, it makes a nice filter.
SirHelm
Location 1: San Jose, CA USA

Post by SirHelm »

Thanks Rusty,

I am going to give the maxi jet 1200 a shot. Just ordered a couple and want to see how quiet they are. If they are not I will send them back and get another 1140.

BTW I took that POS Rio 400 back to the store. I am working on using that older 1140 to replace the noisy rio 400 return pump that i am using. Just gotta get the right brackets.

SH

Return to “Tank Talk”