The Natural History of Madgascar

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

The Natural History of Madgascar

Post by Silurus »

This book is slated for release in October. Not exactly a catfish book, but I did coauthor the section on Ancharius and Arius with John Sparks.
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

Do you know how much other coverage of the ichthyofauna there is? I've bred several Madagascan members of a certain Labroid family that starts with C and ends in ichlid, so I have a particular interest. Plus a couple of Killies from there, and hundreds of Bedotia madagascariensis. I would love to get hold of Ancharius to see how they breed.
Pete
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Each of the genera of freshwater fishes found on Madagascar get a short writeup that covers distinguishing characters, some ecology and distribution, together with a picture of a typical representative of the genus. There is also a more detailed treatment of the biogeography of the freshwater fishes in there.
I haven't seen the book yet (the proof copy that was displayed by the U of Chicago Press in Manaus stopped short of the fish chapter, which was frustrating), but I am guessing the coverage comprehensive, but will not go into specifics (as far as treatment of individual species are concerned).
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

The book is now published.

See here for details.