Synodontis granulosus Behavior

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Synodontis granulosus Behavior

Post by STINGRAY »

Is there anybody who could help identifying characteristics of this exotic cat. I have 1 which is behaving very strange.
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

See this month's CotM. They are the oddest behaving catfish I have ever seen, so describe the "symptoms."

Rusty
STINGRAY

Post by STINGRAY »

Hi rusty. I have 2 of these cats. 1 owned for 1year spends most of his time hiding and only comes out for food. The 2nd come into the shop this week in very good condition and very active (almost overactive). Fish seemed to enjoy being in a nicely laid out tank and fed within 10 minutes. When I checked on fish this morning he was swimming upside down under water surface (not odd for any syno I suppose) but fish seemed off balance and twitchy and to my horror appeared to have some form of skin infection. We had a really close look but could see no parasites so decided to treat quickly for C flexibacter as we have lost many fish to this disease before but not usually synos. Fish is still feeding and looked ok in respect of no more rot but I am still very concerned. Any suggestions.
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

Stingray, this isn't a reply, but I live in west Wales and would like to know the name and location of your shop. I go to Shirley Aquatics in Birmingham regularly.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
STINGRAY

Post by STINGRAY »

Hi Cris// We are located near the Merry Hill Center about 15 miles from Shirley. Next time you are travelling to the area let me know what you are looking for and I will get back to you. We can supply most cats at good prices but more importantly fully quarantined.
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

I'm looking for Tandanus. Do you ever get those? They're an Australian genus. Also Clarotes laticeps, and other African and Asian predators, and Brachyplatystoma juruense, a pimelodid. All depending on price. I can't afford a Synodontis granulosus.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)

Return to “African Catfishes”