Lost of my L 333 fry died

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
yannick62
Location 1: Near Lille
Location 2: France
Interests: Keeping tropical fish
Ice hockey

Lost of my L 333 fry died

Post by yannick62 »

Hi,

My L 333 often lay eggs.
In fifty % of case I lose lot of fry.
- The first breeding 12 fry, No died
- The second 1 live but 14 died,
- Third brreding 11 fry, no died
- 4 breeding : 2 live and 15 died.

Water parameters
Temperature range : 25°C pH 7 GH 10 KH 5
No Nitrate, No Nitrite
I change 20 % of Water a week but in the communautary tank Not in eggs tank. And I don't make change when I have fry or eggs.

I do all the time the same thing.But the results are not the same......

My L 333 lay eggs. After 2 days, I take the cave with eggs and father and I put them in a 3 gallons (10 liters) tank with the same water.
Water is change drip to drip.

When I succed, male kept his fry in the cave and they left cave after 20 days for the free swimming.

But when I lose fry. Male expel fry outside the cave or fry left the cave. They live 1 day and after they died. Why ? @-)

It's the same water ?
They don't have hunger because they have their vitellin sac.
Bacteria attacks ?
the vitellin sac past on the glass ?

Tanks you for your help.....
Yannick
Yannick Mesnage
France (North near Lille)
flatfish
I've donated: $80.00!
My cats species list: 44 (i:33, k:17)
My BLogs: 19 (i:97, p:1085)
Spotted: 30
Location 1: Wellington
Location 2: New Zealand

Re: Lost of my L 333 fry died

Post by flatfish »

Hi Yannick. I have not kept or bred L333 but I have bred many L066. I am wondering if you should raise the temperature a bit from 25 C to say 28 C. The recommended temperature on PC is 26-31 C. Also sometimes males can take a while to learn how to raise their fry properly. My L201 male ate 6 batches of eggs before he raised a batch. Good luck.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Is the egg tank inside or separate from the main tank? Can you post a picture?

Jools
yannick62
Ice hockey

Post by yannick62 »

flatfish wrote:Hi Yannick. I have not kept or bred L333 but I have bred many L066. I am wondering if you should raise the temperature a bit from 25 C to say 28 C. The recommended temperature on PC is 26-31 C. Also sometimes males can take a while to learn how to raise their fry properly. My L201 male ate 6 batches of eggs before he raised a batch. Good luck.
Thank you for your answer.

I lost 7 fry.
So I raise the température at 27 - 28°C. But without good result.
7 fry died.

They wasn't any fry in the cave therefore I put the male out.
Now i have 6 fry in the thanks.
I will see if it's was the male who kill the fry ? Maybe ?

All my male are young, They have 2 years old. But I can't identify them, therefore I don't know if all brreding it's the same male or another....

Jools,
I have 2 separated tanks.
One with adult and one with my male and eggs. (I can't let my male in the comunautary tank because there is lost of predators : scalare, cory.....
Yannick Mesnage
flatfish

Post by flatfish »

Hi Yannick, sorry to hear you lost 7 fry. I do think that a slightly higher temperature (i.e. 27-28 C) is a better for this species. But I am only going on what it says on this site and what I have found for L066.

I have had eggs and fry killed by young males before when I have disturbed them too much with a torch. Hopefully your male(s) will get better as they get older as my L066 have. I have two breeding males and they are very good at raising young. I remove the young from the males when they have almost used up their yolk sacs and then rear them in a floating container with a sponge filter inside the parents tank. Once they are about 3 cm long they are transferred to a separate rearing tank.
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Post by stuby »

I think the problem is with you transferring the dad and eggs/fry to the new tank...... Use a fry saver instead that is in the same tank and I bet you will be able to raise a lot more fry. You can transfer the fry when they are older and able to take the change a little better..... Eggs and wigglers/young fry can not take big changes so they are more susceptible than older fry are.

HTH
Chuck

http://www.thefishcave.com.au/fry_savers/index.html
Here is a link to some so you can see what they look like..... I'm not sure where to get some what you are so someone else may be able to help you there....
flatfish

Post by flatfish »

stuby wrote:I think the problem is with you transferring the dad and eggs/fry to the new tank...... Use a fry saver instead that is in the same tank and I bet you will be able to raise a lot more fry. You can transfer the fry when they are older and able to take the change a little better..... Eggs and wigglers/young fry can not take big changes so they are more susceptible than older fry are.

HTH
Chuck
I agree Chuck. Fry savers work well. Some people have great success leaving the young in the parents tank but I find they struggle and don't get enough to eat. I always put them in a 'fry saver/gerd box' initially. I don't transfer the fry with the male. If they are well developed they seem to do fine by themselves. I just put a few small bits of wood in the fry saver so the fry can hide under it.
AndrewC
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.

Post by AndrewC »

To me, a 3G tank is too small to hatch out fry in, a 10G tank minimum would be much better, the bigger the tank the more stable the water, and the best results comes from leaving the eggs/fry in with the parents.
It sounds like they are breeding in a community tank and then you are moving the male and his cave to a 3G tank.
As Chuck said, a fry saver in the community tank would be better in this case.
But watch out, i found the L333 pretty prolific breeders when they start, i was getting around twenty fry off them each month without any losses, but I had other tanks to grow the fry on in.
With a community tank it might be better leaving the male and his cave in the community tank seeing how many fry survive.
yannick62
Ice hockey

Post by yannick62 »

Tanks you for your help.

To answers at your questions....
My 3 G tank is in a special serial tank to breed fish....
In this gallery i have 5 tanks (3 tanks 3 Gallons, 2 tanks with 25 G therefore 80G ) But with a big big filter (a big tank with moss : 80G). The total of water is 160 G of water.

I have increase the temperature. Now it's 29°C.

To conclude the last breeding : 13 eggs, 7 died quikly. 6 lives until 4 days. But 4 died quikly when they have their yolk sacs beetwen 7 to 10 days.
I have succeed to breed 2. (Its a beginning)

They lives in the same tank since the begining therefore the water is good.
Now they are with other fry in a 25G in the same serial tank.
(And the others young fish are in à 25G tank but with the same water and no died: Good water).

As soon they begin to eat I haven't died. I lose all my fry during the yolk sacs period.

Now, i have another breeding.
The male have ventilated eggs during five or six days. Very well without problem. No stress. Good.

Eggs begin to hatched this morning and after only 12 hours, 5 fry are out of the cave.
2 eggs was out. But the body of fry was inside the eggs. The tail of the fish was outside. I help them to exit of the eggs.

I will see tomorrow.
Yannick Mesnage
yannick62
Ice hockey

Post by yannick62 »

Hi,

For you a fish saver is :