Cory pH tolerance?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
UNTgolf
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Dallas,TX
Interests: Chemistry, corys

Cory pH tolerance?

Post by UNTgolf »

Is there a cory that can tolerant a pH of 8.0 to 9.0, but moreover do well/be in good health at that pH.
Sean
Catsncats
Location 1: Texas

Post by Catsncats »

So, you play golf at UNT?

Sorry I can't help you with your question :oops: but being a former Dentonite and UNT employee your name caught my eye!
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

Is there a cory that can tolerant a pH of 8.0 to 9.0, but moreover do well/be in good health at that pH.
No, what type of tank are you setting up, or is this local tap water readings?
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Personally I think anything above pH 8 would be a bit too stressfull.

Ian
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

I had once taken water from my african tank which is ph 8. They respond well but dun really dare to try anymore!
Katman
My images: 51
Spotted: 21
Location 1: Fla. U,S.

Post by Katman »

Comerically breed Albino and green cories will live and spawn in water with a Ph of 8+ .
This probably due to being bred in tanks for so many years.
spiny
Location 1: Oslo,Norway
Interests: Fish,cacti,orchids,botany,biology,being up in the mountains, out in the forest, or sailing the ocean, etc etc

Corys at ph 8-9

Post by spiny »

Many species are adaptible, but remember Corys come from soft or very soft waters of south America. First of all, a fish shouldnt only survive, but also thrive.

Species ability to survive different ph values vary. Some are very sensitive, and others adapt, but it is no good thing to put extra stress on living organisms. Personally I would choose only fishes that were adapted to the conditions I could offer.
In several countries there are rising standards and discussions on life forms in aquariums, and ethics relating to this. Germany has a standard on how fish should be kept, and I know Norway has that discussion as well.

If an organism is put into the wrong ph, iones and particles in the organism will not act normally. If a plant is put into soil of the wrong ph, it will easily loose its roots, and rot. Growth will slow down, and you will have to expect the worst. Maybe a reddish stress-colour will show. So also with fish; you might see skin damages, and diseases and and parasites will have easier access, as the organisms immune system is not as strong as it should be. :shock:

We, the aquarists (human beings) are the ones responsible for keeping life forms under artificial conditions. We do have a responsibility to do our best to give those animals the best conditions, that are close enough to their requirements.

The cory relative Hoplosternum is said to be very adaptible, and my Baensch lexicon states up to ph 8,3 and dGH 30. There are some Synodontis species from Lake Tanganyika and thereabouts, that are adapted to high ph: S. granulosus (to 25cm/10inches), S. petricola (11cm/4inches), S. polli (Polls upside-down catfish 15cm/6inches).

Where I live now, the water is very hard, and I have to use rainwater all the time for my corys.. Now in winter, I have to store rainwater in large cans..

Good luck with your fish!
Bjorn H S

"Oh, uh, this..the moon is in the wrong position!"
Ozzy Osbourne
Katman
My images: 51
Spotted: 21
Location 1: Fla. U,S.

Post by Katman »

When I said comerical bred corys, I am not refering to wild caught fish. I don't know of anyone
who is importing wild caught albino corys. And the breeding stock for the comerical bred fish
hasn't seen South America in 30 or 40 years. I doubt that they have seen soft water in the
last 20 + years .

Most fish have the ability to balance the chemical make up of the water they swim in with their
bodies. If you ever get into making plasma for fish you will understand this better.

I have synos that have been raised breed , the eggs hatched, and the young raised in water
with a Ph that usually runs around 8 ,for six generations . Are these still soft water fish???

If you look at from my side of the pond you are wrong for putting them in soft water.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”