The best ways to ship cories

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
JdubsVW
Location 1: Lancaster,PA

The best ways to ship cories

Post by JdubsVW »

I was just wondering if someone can give me some info on shipping some corie fry for later reference as i plan on shipping some fry out when they are reach a couple months of age. I was wondering if the Kordon breather bags were able to be used or not because of the fishes spines ? I know they should be double bagged in normal bags so this should mean that the kordon bags are not a option.

TIA for any info,
Justin
Proud Member Aquarium Club of Lancaster County
Julie
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Pottstown, PA
Location 2: Pottstown, PA
Interests: fish, kids, horses, karate

Post by Julie »

Hiya Justin....

I don't know that this is the BEST method.. but one that we've adopted and it seems to work best for cories.

Firstly.. you are right, I wouldn't use the breather bags... cory spines are just too rough!

Ok.. we use bag buddies for our cory shipments (available at your local TFP!!!) These seem to help by not only providing more available O2, but also the sedative effects on the easily stressed out cories. Then, we use air in the bags.. not O2. And don't overdo the water in the bags... 1/3 water to 2/3 air. Cories are in general a surface/air breather of sorts... O2 will make them pass out at times. So just use air in the bag. We do double bagging.. and for particularly spiney cories you can either use boots, or put newspaper inbetween the two bags.

Hope this helps!!!
JdubsVW
Location 1: Lancaster,PA

Post by JdubsVW »

thanks and you should be getting an order from soon too I have emailed you a couple of times :D
Proud Member Aquarium Club of Lancaster County

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”