Mysterious panda cory body fungus?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Fiskars the Whiskers
Location 1: Ketchikan, Alaska
Interests: Catfish, coffee, math, reading, the internet, frolicing, going for drives, anthropology, Terry Pratchett books

Mysterious panda cory body fungus?

Post by Fiskars the Whiskers »

This morning I woke up and when I went to turn on the light in my small tank I noticed my panda cory was light, but then I realized he hasn't had the light on all night, so when I turned the light on, I realized he's covered in this weird, fungusy-looking stuff. I thought, "Dang! I lost another panda cory!" but when I went to take him out of the tank he moved! So now I'm not sure what to do.

He lives in a Marineland Eclipse 3 with an oto and a small axelrodi. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10, pH 6. The tank has been set up for four months. There is a very small amount of gravel in there, one thickness of gravel thick so the cories can easily root around through it, and a small PVC pipe and some floaty plants for decoration/hiding/playing purposes.

I tried to take a couple pictures, but my camera is frusterating as it won't allow me to get very close to the tank, so hopefully these are not too bad.

It looks like he's either covered in fungus or he's peeling. His eye was what I noticed first. It has a piece of what looks to be skin over it. He's definitely still alive, though. He's not moving around but I've watched him move several times. Sooo, any help would be fantastic and I will be grateful!!!
Fiskars the Whiskers
Interests: Catfish, coffee, math, reading, the internet, frolicing, going for drives, anthropology, Terry Pratchett books

I checked him at lunch and he's still alive and breathing. I did a 50% water change and took the floaty plants out. There was some weird fungus-looking fuzzy stuff on the plants that kinda looked like what my panda has on him. Could he have gotten something from the plants overnight? That's what I think is the weirdest part, is that last night when I took a look in the tank before I went to bed, he was FINE!!! He was bopping around with the axelrodi and he's been eating, so I don't know what is going on. I hope he's alive when I get home. Should I try some anti-fungus stuff? I really, really hope he lives because if he dies that will be the third panda cory that has died on me and I just don't think I'm cut out to own them. *sigh* :( And they're so darn cute.
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

I can't make out much from the pictures but it seems all you can do is more water changes, [quote some anti-fungus stuff? I[/quote] malachite and formalin mix would have a broad range effect.

What temperature is the tank?
Fiskars the Whiskers

I will go to the pet store to see if they have any of that. I really doubt they do, since they just started. Will most anti-fungal stuff help? Actually, I think I might have some stuff that helps body fungus. It's a kind of pill. Will the anti-fungus stuff for mollies work, by any chance? My friend has some that I could use.

The temp of the tank is 75 degrees with the light out, but I have/had the light for several hours in the day because of the plants and that made the water slowly heat to 79 degrees. Now that I took the plants out I probably won't turn the light on much.

Also, will the oto and axelrodi be okay if I treat the tank?
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

Will the anti-fungus stuff for mollies work, by any chance?
I dont see why there would be much difference between the two chemicals effects if they both state body fungus should be fine. the faster you can get the chemical the better.
Also, will the oto and axelrodi be okay if I treat the tank?
not sure about the effects on the axelrodi, can it climb out if it's not happy?
Fiskars the Whiskers

Okay, I will see if the stuff I have is for body fungus, otherwise I will get some from my friend. Her mollies got fungus every couple of weeks. What causes it? I still cannot believe how fast he was attacked by this stuff. I hope he can see if he heals okay.

I don't really have any place for the axelrodi to go. Poor little buddy. It might be good for him to be exposed to the medicine, though, because (maybe this is my imagination) it looks like the tip of his tail is a little white, which it never has been before. He's very spry, though, so I'm not as worried about him. And the oto just sucks to the glass like normal. *L*

Also, if I put the medication in there, do I take out the filter and the bio-wheel, too?
Fiskars the Whiskers

Woo! This morning my panda cory is still alive! His fungus is mostly gone and he just has a little bit left on his tail on face. Yaaay! :D
Line up!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”