Water changes

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mcaquatic
My cats species list: 67 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 34
Location 1: USA
Location 2: somerville, NJ

Water changes

Post by mcaquatic »

Hi Everyone
I am moving in a month and the first order of business will be to put together my fish room. I have a contractor setup and the plan put together so hopefully the room will be operational by mid February. I have a lot of breeding projects that I want to try: L14, L25, L47, L200 hifin, and chubbies to name a few. I also have some panda uarus to play with and think I am going to get into the larger pike cichlids. I am torn on how to automate the water changes. My options are a constant drip vs automated larger water changes. The drip would be the easiest to setup. Automated water changes is do able but more of a PITA. Though I know from fish I have bred previous (all easy stuff) that water changes can be a real trigger. What do you think the best option would be?
PseudaSmart
I've donated: $200.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 19
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My BLogs: 9 (i:10, p:310)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Michigan, USA
Location 2: Ilha do Mel, Brazil
Interests: Breeding all Pseuda's. Finding a way to beat Parkinson's Disease.

Re: Water changes

Post by PseudaSmart »

You have chosen some real challenges. They are a PITA to breed for a reason. If you are serious about being successful then don't take the easy way and plan for both systems now while you have the access and time. I personally have over 2500 gallons of tanks devoted to Pseudacanthicus and retrofitting systems was a real pain. Be sure to leave an air gap between the walls and any equipment for air flow. Most important NEVER leave power strips and cord plugs on the floor.

BTW after 7 years spawns are still not a sure thing.
Good Luck,
Jim
Almost 3,000 gallons solely for raising and breeding Pseudacanthicus.
Spawned to date: L25, L65, L97, L114, L160, L185, L427, LDA07 and P. leopardus (L600).
Check out my videos at: youtube.com/c/PseudaSmart
Also on Facebook. PseudaSmart (of course!)
mcaquatic

Post by mcaquatic »

PseudaSmart wrote:You have chosen some real challenges. They are a PITA to breed for a reason. If you are serious about being successful then don't take the easy way and plan for both systems now while you have the access and time. I personally have over 2500 gallons of tanks devoted to Pseudacanthicus and retrofitting systems was a real pain. Be sure to leave an air gap between the walls and any equipment for air flow. Most important NEVER leave power strips and cord plugs on the floor.

BTW after 7 years spawns are still not a sure thing.
Good Luck,
Jim

Thanks Jim. I think what I am leaning towards is doing the drip. This way I can have constant clean water and then do manual wc on tanks when I need to. I am going to have reservoir tanks that feed the drip and I can use these for the water changes as well. Also doing the automated water changed with solenoid valves maybe a little over my comfort level.

Jim are your tanks all individually filtered or do you have them on a system? I am planning on doing air. A central K1 system would be much easier but I fear any disease even with quarantine. This year I had what I believe was a parasite devastate most of my collection.

The breeding projects are for the fun of it. If it works out great and if not I still have some awesome fish.
PseudaSmart

Post by PseudaSmart »

I have several mini systems which are 3-4 tanks with a common sump. This increases filter capacity, reduces chance to spread disease, and makes it easier on my wife when I travel. All of my smaller tanks have sponge filters as well.
Spawned to date: L25, L65, L97, L114, L160, L185, L427, LDA07 and P. leopardus (L600).
mcaquatic

Post by mcaquatic »

PseudaSmart wrote:I have several mini systems which are 3-4 tanks with a common sump. This increases filter capacity, reduces chance to spread disease, and makes it easier on my wife when I travel. All of my smaller tanks have sponge filters as well.

For air do you use a pump that runs the room or individual for the tanks?

Not that it matters too too much but having many sumps is that a large electricity drain vs a room mostly run by air?
I was going to do a sump for my two 250gs then poret corner filters for the rest air driven
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I have both individual tanks and small systems. I far prefer the systems for ease of maintenance and growing fish out. I set them up for a flow through water change system on my main pleco rack upstairs. It works great, until I get busy and leave the cold water on overnight. Done it twice now, in 3 years. Once was not me, once was. Effectively kills all of the fry, but lost very few breeders, even at 50 degrees. Not a lesson I'm going to risk again. I bought timers for running the water. At most, it can only run an hour now.

I quarantine and prophylactically treat for parasites once or twice a year. If I lose anyone, I check for parasites with the microscope, or sedate someone to check. To date, their only real danger has been pilot error, not cooties.

Barbie
Raul-7
Location 1: Lomita, CA
Location 2: Lomita, CA

Post by Raul-7 »

Invest in a controller like an Apex. It can monitor/control temperature and do AWCs amongst the various other capabilities it has. I have a common sump for 8 20L's. Soon I'll add a 40w UV sterilizer to the setup.

I have an Apex for my L-setup in the garage and it's the best piece of equipment I have bought. I can monitor and control my aquarium when I'm not home.
lilu
My cats species list: 34 (i:18, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Location 2: Montreal, Canada

Post by lilu »

I agree about the Apex, it may not be as common in FW tanks as for SW and seemed like an expensive investment initially but it is the best investment I have made to help maintain stability in the tank. In addition to monitoring tank parameters, AWC, auto-dosing and controlling equipment it has some useful power management features in the case of a power outage such as notifying you, turning off non-essential equipment and so on. For me it manages my AWC routine of 2G every 3 hrs. It also does the RO water reconstitution and refilling. With a recent addition it can do pretty much constant drip WC as well - but if you want to a one time larger change with some minimal configuration online you could get it to switch to that, and as long as you have an internet connection you could be physically elsewhere when you send it the instructions.
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

Another possible benefit of a system: someone posited that breeding plecs (like ancistrus) may emit breeding pheremones that could help instigate other "tougher to spawn" plecos to breed.
Raul-7
Location 1: Lomita, CA
Location 2: Lomita, CA

Post by Raul-7 »

Do you guys use UV sterilizers on your central systems? I'm setting an L-system this month and want to invest in UV. But want to know what everyone else does?
mcaquatic

Post by mcaquatic »

Thanks for the all the in put. It is very much appreciated. With everything going on (moving, wedding, work etc) I haven't been checking my forums as frequently as I like. It is going to be a very tough decision. The real thing that is holding me back from systems is that even with good quarantine practices bugs get through.

For heating the room itself will be heated and then I will use heaters if needed be to further elevated the temp.

That it makes a much of a difference in my decision but would there be a big difference in electricity costs? If I did individual tanks I would be doing a large air pump (linear etc I haven't done the research yet ) from Jehmco vs several smaller systems with return pumps and and luft (can I use a smaller pump?) air pumps to boil K1 media.

Or would you still advise one pump to run all the sumps?
PseudaSmart

Post by PseudaSmart »

Quick note regarding UV. I have used it for 8 years. Like everything there are pros and cons. It keeps algae under control, keeps the water clear, and slows any outbreak. The downside is it can hide an outbreak, they need a pump, cost money to use, and the bulb replacement is expensive.

For my fluval 405s a use a hang on tank UV and my fx5s have larger in-line units.

Pseuda fry are difficult to raise so I'll take any help I can get.

Jim
mcaquatic

Post by mcaquatic »

Barbie wrote:I have both individual tanks and small systems. I far prefer the systems for ease of maintenance and growing fish out. I set them up for a flow through water change system on my main pleco rack upstairs. It works great, until I get busy and leave the cold water on overnight. Done it twice now, in 3 years. Once was not me, once was. Effectively kills all of the fry, but lost very few breeders, even at 50 degrees. Not a lesson I'm going to risk again. I bought timers for running the water. At most, it can only run an hour now.

I quarantine and prophylactically treat for parasites once or twice a year. If I lose anyone, I check for parasites with the microscope, or sedate someone to check. To date, their only real danger has been pilot error, not cooties.

Barbie
Barbie how many small systems do you have? Also how many gallons on each system? Just curious do you know how much it brings up your energy bill? Construction has been started on my fish room. Hopefully in about a month's time I will be moving in the tanks. My fiance is worried about the energy bill. Can't say I am worried.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”