What Cory is this ?????

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
aquaboyaquatics
Location 1: Green Brook, NJ, USA

What Cory is this ?????

Post by aquaboyaquatics »

Hello,

Does any one Know What type of cory this is? It Looks Like a couple of different ones except for the black dot behind the gill plate. Any Ideas Would be greatly appreciated. Here are some other photos, http://www.aquaboyaquatics.com/new_cory.html

kwalker
I've donated: $236.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 55 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 16 (i:2, p:392)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: SPENCER,OHIO USA
Location 2: spencer,ohio united states
Interests: breeding catfish from all parts of the world and getting them into the hobby. favorite catfish is the stonecat madtom,btw ingo how are my fish

Post by kwalker »

i believe you may want to check cory panda in the cat-e-log.

ken
" CATFISH, THE ONLY REAL AQUARIUM FISH"
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Not close to panda imo. But more of an adolfoi or at least from that group of similar looking Corys.
cheers
Christian
aquaboyaquatics

definatly the adolfi group

they were sold to me as adolfi but they are not. They dont look like any in that group that i can. The black dot is the catch.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

To be honest i overlooked that spot...in this case as i havent found any coresponding pics i would call them Corydoras cf. adolfoi but maybe wait for Ian and his opinion.
cheers
Christian
Jorge
Location 1: Madrid (España)

Post by Jorge »

IMO, Corydoras adolfoi.

Saludos :D
Allan
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Catfish, mostly corys.

Post by Allan »

That spot behind the gills is a pussle. It's not coagulated blood after rough handling/netting?

Adolfoi on first look, but then again not.

The full coloured dorsal finn reminds me of C. burgessi, but that still does not normally have a line all the way to the tail, allthough this is seen in some pictures.

Looking forward to hearing what this really is.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Were did they come from? Wild caught or from a breeder?

Jools
benny
Location 1: Singapore

Post by benny »

Unlike the adolfoi, this cory has a almost black dosal fin, in addition to the reddish/pinkish patch behind the gills.

This wild caught species were also seen in the last few months in both North and South Asian markets. There are also real adolfoi mixed in the shipment. So they may be sympatric.

I thought it was more like a Corydoras sp. cf burgessi, but the shop I bought it from indicated that it was shipped in labeled as Corydoras sp. cf adolfoi. The discussion we had was that it was probably because black dosal patch (like those on the C burgessi) was not very consistent through out the specimens but the thin black line along the dosal ridge (like the adolfoi) was very prominent. Anyway, that's just speculation during our chit chat and nothing conclusive came out of it.

Let's see what Ian has to say about this fish.

Cheers,
Last edited by benny on 11 Dec 2003, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

I have also seen these fish in the UK recently and at first I thought they were hybrids, but was reliably informed that they were wild fish. I would tend to label them as C. cf adolfoi untill a little more is known about their location.

Ian
aquaboyaquatics

Thanks for all the info. These guys came in as Adolfi, but only about 15 out of 100 were true adolfi. The rest are consistantly these C. cf. Adolfi. They are wild fish i got them directly from the airport. I will have to find out what area they came from. Are they rare enough that i should hang on to a few? Thanks again for all the responses. :D
Coryman
Expert

Post by Coryman »

I would certainly keep a potential breeding group and try and breed some. If you are successfull and can produce some froI would be most interested in the fry patterns at 7 days and 1 month, I have this data for both C. adolfoi and C. burgessi and would like to see if there are any differences in the fry patterns, it may or may not show them to be a new species.

Ian
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Since these two species are coming from the same region , any chance for these fish to be simply a natural hybrid between C. adlofoi and C. burgessi... just my 2 cents..
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Yann (and others),
Just a guess, but more likely than these fish being hybrids is that the exporters in Brazil are buying from multiple collecting stations along the upper Rio Negro and just consolidating all the fish that look to be the same species when they arrive in Manaus. Could be a regional variation of one of the upper Negro Corydoras since the "C. adolfoi group" pretty much all share the same pattern. It could also be a new sp. of this group.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Coryman
Expert

Post by Coryman »

I have been giving this one some more thought and looking at the pictures a little more I think it is nearer to C. burgessi in pattern and body shape, therfore for now I would call it C. cf burgessi.

Ian
Last edited by Coryman on 12 Dec 2003, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
benny
Location 1: Singapore

Post by benny »

Hi guys,

Here's a few more picture from from I Love Corydoras for comparison.

Cheers,
aquaboyaquatics

Hello, Thanks again for all the input. This forum is top notch! I have picked a group for myself but would like to offer them to other breeders. I have about 50 to 70 left. If you are a breeder and wish to try and work with this fish please contact me at mike@aquaboyaquatics.com . I dont want to sell these to someone who is not trying to breed them. :roll:

Return to “What is my catfish?”