Armored? large 6-7" 152-177mm mostly black/dark

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Old Man Shea
Location 2: Massachusetts, USA

Armored? large 6-7" 152-177mm mostly black/dark

Post by Old Man Shea »

Got this guy from a friend of mine from an over populated tank. Adjusting fine to new 55 gal, but I have no idea what this guy is, or what he eats for that matter. I think he may be CALLICHTHYIDAE, but I have no idea. He likes to swim up to the surface every now and then for air. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
PC290036.JPG
PC290030.JPG
DutchFry
My images: 12
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: The Hague
Location 2: The Netherlands

Re: Armored? large 6-7" 152-177mm mostly black/dark

Post by DutchFry »

Hi and welcome to this forum :d

I'm pretty sure your fish is

click the URL for info

may I ask what size your tank is? looks very small to me... Next to that, the fish you rescued does better in groups of his own species. So, if you have an appropriate tank and you can find more of these, maybe you can add some more! they are cool and quite active fish :-BD

edit: overlooked the 55 gal. my bad! 4 or 5 more would be just fine. my last piece of advice would be to replace the blue gravel for some fine sand, which looks more natural and benefits the fish and its natural behaviour.
Greetings, Tim
Old Man Shea
Location 2: Massachusetts, USA

Re: Armored? large 6-7" 152-177mm mostly black/dark

Post by Old Man Shea »

Thank you!

Return to “What is my catfish?”