Tank Mates for pampered Spotted bullhead

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
wwajfd
My cats species list: 7 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: Omaha, ne
Interests: Fishing, Biking, Aquariums. I used to have 22 carfish representing 5 different contenents, including thailand, the amazon, and the congo. In January of 2008 I had a power outage during the coldest weekend of the year while I was out of town. I lost all but my spotted bullhead and my synodontis oceliffer.

Post by wwajfd »

I have a 3-year-old Male Spotted bullhead (Ameiurus serracanthus) about 10 inches long in a 55-gallon aquarium. I have a South American bumblebee catfish (Batrochoglanis raninus) 2 inches which I never see unless I hydro clean in the same tank. What other kinds of fish can I put in there that won't cause conflict?
Water plants save lives in a power outage.
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Tank Mates for pampered Spotted bullhead

Post by Birger »

I have not had either but maybe something like adult would be okay together with the bullhead, but I would think a 55 would be too small for combining these.

I really like the look of the it is my favorite of the different bullhead species.

I have a South American bumblebee catfish (Batrochoglanis raninus) 2 inches which I never see unless I hydro clean in the same tank.
If you have had this fish for awhile it is more likely at that size(2")

Birger
Birger
wwajfd
Interests: Fishing, Biking, Aquariums. I used to have 22 carfish representing 5 different contenents, including thailand, the amazon, and the congo. In January of 2008 I had a power outage during the coldest weekend of the year while I was out of town. I lost all but my spotted bullhead and my synodontis oceliffer.

Post by wwajfd »

I had a Bumblebee catfish (Batrochoglanis raninus) before, I know it is the same. I perchased this one in December. They are compadable with a lot of different types of fish, From fancy Goldfish and Koi to a 22 inch albino channel cat. Very dossile and they hide very well. I will recomend it to anyone who has a community tank providing that the tank mates are larger than 3 inches. I have had one in a tank with Mollies and guppies. I has a female live to be 10 or 11 years. She was a fun little fish.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I think a 55 is even way too small just for a single 10" Bullhead.
regardless of what you want to cram in with it.

a 10" fish should be kept in a 75-100G tank and then there's adequate room for others as well.
Valar Morghulis
wwajfd

Post by wwajfd »

My Spotted Bullhead is now in a 125 gallon tank by himself. He is now 14 and a half inches long and 6 years old. He is fat and happy eating his guppies.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Nice. Share a photo or two if you will.

I don't think fish get bored. They have no instinct for entertainment :) unlike humans... who sometimes anthropomorphize fish :)

I am not sure if your FL bullhead is a shoaling species. If yes, it could benefit from companionship, keeping in mind that 2 is usually not a good number.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

Hello wwajfd. Check out NANFA (North American Native Fish Association). There are many fish found here in the states which would probably be good tank mates for the bullhead including some perches, any number of minnows and some cool Centrachids.
I kept my bullhead with regular pond comets. Good luck!

Return to “Other Catfishes”