Aggressive L18

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mpfsr
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: ohio

Aggressive L18

Post by mpfsr »

I have raised a couple L18's and there about full grown now. They are in a tank with some young kribs I was growing out. the kribs spawned in the tank and I witnessed My larger L18 attack the brood of babies when they went under a log in the tank. He was fighting both the kribs and munching on as many babies as it could before the kribs got him away from them. Is this a normal thing from these pleco's or maybe just protecting a hiding spot it likes? It did eat about 20 or so fry as they are only about 4 days out of the cave.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Re: Aggressive L18

Post by Barbie »

He sounds hungry? Define adult size? They are opportunistic feeders, definitely. I would try feeding him more and see if it calms him done. Now that he has learned the behavior it might make him hard to get to stop.

Barbie
mpfsr

Post by mpfsr »

Thank you Barbie.. I'm not sure if he/she is full grown yet. If not really close at 4" now. It for sure gets its share of food (very plump belly) and is always out and active for a pleco. My other is about 1 inch smaller and never out but at night. I have seen it do it a couple times and the 150+ baby kribs are now about 40. I'm not to concerned if they don't make it as I'm a little full on my tanks now. I will move the pair after they stop watching out for the baby's and thinking the L18's are ready for my 180g river tank.
I really just didn't expect that from a pleco!! Thx again for helping me out.

Mike
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

mpfsr wrote:I'm not sure if he/she is full grown yet. If not really close at 4" now.
They grow to over 14", so yours is just a baby! Check the cat-elog page for .

It'll get more aggressive with age.
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

Hmmm, I wouldn't have expected this from a plec either, but I agree with Barbie it's probably not going to stop.
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
mpfsr

Post by mpfsr »

Umm OK so I have been very misinformed about these when I bought them...I need to stop listening to people when I buy fish from them as I was told 4-5" :) Doing my own research is going to be best as is this forum :) There gonna have to move sooner then later as there in a 75g now. So glad I ask this question

Thank you racoll!!!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”