How long with "NADA" food ?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Armand Ortega
Location 1: San Diego, CA.
Interests: Breeding rare fish.

How long with "NADA" food ?

Post by Armand Ortega »

Hi;
I am going to try to simulate the dry/rainy season in my plecos tank. but according to the procedure I must not feed them for 15 days !!! Can They tolerate that?. Did someone done it before ? I Dont want to risk my L46's . :?
Thanks.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 277
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

15 days without food is way to much for a Hypancistrus zebra, I would not even go with a week that way!
You can feed them but just a little bit every 2 days if you want to simultate a dry season, in the wild they will find food during that time, possibly less than usually.
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
MackIntheBox
Location 1: Dallas, TX

Post by MackIntheBox »

ok, im just curious here and want to understand. Why are you simulating the rainy/dry seasons? I just want to know your reasons so I understand :)
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
The Doctor (Robot, 1974/5)
TheSlackersLounge Home for Slackers ;)
SLAP, SLAP, SQUISH! (Penny-Arcade)
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Armand,
15 days is nothing for a healthy fish. I routinely leave my tanks unattended for 2-3 weeks. A healthy loricariid should have no problems going three weeks without food.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
biomechmonster
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Chicago, IL

Post by biomechmonster »

I agree, i don't feed my fish for a week or 2 at times when on vacation and they're just fine--just very hungry when I get back!
xander
My cats species list: 21 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:0)
Location 1: MN USA

NO problem

Post by xander »

Fish don't need to eat all the time. 2 weeks is no problem. I wouldn't starve them for more than two weeks too often but on ocassion it shouldn't hurt.
Armand Ortega
Location 1: San Diego, CA.
Interests: Breeding rare fish.

Post by Armand Ortega »

Is good to heard from you guys. Thanks for your opinions. In my situation I have a bare bottom tank and no plants. only slate rocks. so I think even If you have plants and you don't feed them they will eat something. But in my case is more critical. So I will keep an eye on their bellies !. Why I want to simulate the Dry season? I want to take it as an experiment and see what can trigger my fish to spawn. If I have success I will let you know. Thanks.
doctorzeb
My images: 8
My catfish: 2
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Southwest Scotland
Interests: A healthy obsession with Zebras and some overkeen enthusiasm for doing up an old derilict house!

Post by doctorzeb »

Hi Armand

I haven't tried the feeding trick, but I did try the rainy season trick and finally got my zebra's to spawn after years of trying.

What temp are they sitting at now and what temp are you going to reduce to?

I had luck with sitting at around 82 dropping to about 72 with a 30% water change, (over time), and then rising back up to about 84. three days later the female was in the cave.

good luck

rob
My wife made the mistake of buying me a 2 ft tank and it grew to 7ft.
MackIntheBox
Location 1: Dallas, TX

Post by MackIntheBox »

Armand Ortega wrote:Is good to heard from you guys. Thanks for your opinions. In my situation I have a bare bottom tank and no plants. only slate rocks. so I think even If you have plants and you don't feed them they will eat something. But in my case is more critical. So I will keep an eye on their bellies !. Why I want to simulate the Dry season? I want to take it as an experiment and see what can trigger my fish to spawn. If I have success I will let you know. Thanks.
well that makes sense, I was just clueless as to why you would do this. now I know :) ope it works out for yah.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
The Doctor (Robot, 1974/5)
TheSlackersLounge Home for Slackers ;)
SLAP, SLAP, SQUISH! (Penny-Arcade)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”