Three questions!!!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Fiskars the Whiskers
Location 1: Ketchikan, Alaska
Interests: Catfish, coffee, math, reading, the internet, frolicing, going for drives, anthropology, Terry Pratchett books

Three questions!!!

Post by Fiskars the Whiskers »

Question #1: Saturday afternoon I bought a mystery cory from my lfs and after looking him up on planetcatfish.com I found out he is an Axelrodi. Should I treat him as I would any other cory? I always figure that corys are corys are corys, but there might be that *one thing* different that the Axelrodis need.

Question #2: I have a pair of Scwartziis that I bought two weeks ago and they're not very active. They live in a tank with two Pandas who are constantly on the move together. The Scwartziis prefer to sit around and blink. Is this normal? They move, but they move the least out of all of my other cories, so I thought maybe something might be wrong. They eat fine and always look perky while they sit, with their dorsal fins up and their pectoral fins are always out (they look like little airplanes from the front -- sooo cute!), so they don't look unhappy, maybe just bored? Is there anything I could do to make them happier?

Question #3: My two pictuses live in a 10 gallon tank. Would it be possible to add an upside-down catfish in there or would that be too much for one tank? The pictuses are both about 3" long. Would they bother the upside-down cat too much?

Thanks for any help!!! :D
Jana
Location 1: Chandler, AZ

Post by Jana »

#1) Don't know the answer to that one! Look in the Cat-elog, it may have some info...

#2) My cories (pandas & c. trilineatus) constantly worry me to death..........from what I've read/experienced, it sounds normal to me but I'm no expert. I do know that they feel safer when in larger groups (5-6) so maybe adding some more would get them more active?

#3) Can't help on that one either.......
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

Question #1: Saturday afternoon I bought a mystery cory from my LFS and after looking him up on planetcatfish.com I found out he is an Axelrodi. Should I treat him as I would any other cory? I always figure that corys are corys are corys, but there might be that *one thing* different that the Axelrodis need.
depends how do you treat the others water perameters ect?
Question #2: I have a pair of Scwartziis that I bought two weeks ago and they're not very active. They live in a tank with two Pandas who are constantly on the move together. The Scwartziis prefer to sit around and blink. Is this normal? They move, but they move the least out of all of my other cories, so I thought maybe something might be wrong. They eat fine and always look perky while they sit, with their dorsal fins up and their pectoral fins are always out (they look like little airplanes from the front -- sooo cute!), so they don't look unhappy, maybe just bored? Is there anything I could do to make them happier?
they would be happier in a larger group but the behaviour you describe is nothing to worry about.
Question #3: My two pictuses live in a 10 gallon tank. Would it be possible to add an upside-down catfish in there or would that be too much for one tank? The pictuses are both about 3" long. Would they bother the upside-down cat too much?
This should be fine the pictus are very active and in the futere I recomend you get a bigger tank to give them more space. they will not bother an upside down cat, however S. nigriventis would prefere to be in a group, some is there any others on your list?
Fiskars the Whiskers
Location 1: Ketchikan, Alaska
Interests: Catfish, coffee, math, reading, the internet, frolicing, going for drives, anthropology, Terry Pratchett books

Post by Fiskars the Whiskers »

Thanks for the help with the cories! Maybe some species are just shyer than others. At one point I had one panda cory with a couple bronze cories and they wouldn't really interact and the panda ended up dying. So I figured when I was going to get another panda I would get two, so now they're buddies and it's the schwartziis I'm wondering about now. *L*

When I have the space to get a bigger tank for the pictuses I definitely will. I probably won't get an upsidedown cat because my pleco is getting bigger, so he'll go to live with the pictuses this weekend.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”