Heating and Tank Temps

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Heating and Tank Temps

Post by Taratron »

I'm looking to breed my bronze cories, and I've been told the best way (after you've made sure you have both male and female) is to drop the temperature of the tank.

I am rather wondering about this. My friend has 5 bronze cories in an unheated tropical tank, and the lowest the water gets is at night, around 70*F. During the day, it may rise up to 74*, give or take.

And her cories spawn almost every week with their water change!

I've kept my tanks with their heaters on all day and all night, set at 76*F.

Should I leave my tanks heated all the time, or not at night, or not at all?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

If you make a good water change with cooler water to drop the T+ of several ° and then leave the heater unplugged overnight and plug it back the next morning it should be alright
Corydoras aeneus are usually easy to breed and don't necessarly need to be triggered to spawn...
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!

Return to “Tank Talk”