columbian shark catfish ok in freshwater?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
bigamefish
My images: 5
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: birtle mb
Location 2: manitoba canada
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

columbian shark catfish ok in freshwater?

Post by bigamefish »

hello everybody i love the look of columbian sharks and i know that they big and are a brackish species
but i am not willing to give up my current species for brackish water so i was wondering if they could live in freshwater or would it just be a cruel way to slowley kill them?
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Re: columbian shark catfish ok in freshwater?

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

I would say
just be a cruel way to slowley kill them?
Have you read these already?

and the CotM
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
bigamefish
My images: 5
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: birtle mb
Location 2: manitoba canada
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

Post by bigamefish »

If I had a friend with a marine tank I would raise a baby one and got it to him as it got big but unfortunately I don't so I guess no columbian shark for me :YMSIGH:
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Yes, Dave's links say it all. Young ones tolerate fresh water far better than older ones. I've seen them "appearing" well and happy in many freshwater tanks at LFSs. But just like the Cat-eLog says, one will need to start adding salt soon and start adding it progressively more and more. This is one of the reasons, I think, that, having been to ~100 good LFSs, I'm yet to see one columbian shark larger than 3"-4" TL and I've never seen a trade-in (!) I guess, they never make it, for the reasons stated.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

bigamefish wrote:If I had a friend with a marine tank I would raise a baby one and got it to him as it got big but unfortunately I don't so I guess no columbian shark for me :YMSIGH:
Not only a friend with a marine tank, a friend with a LARGE marine tank (I haven't done the math, but somewhere in the region of 500g/2000 liter or more, I'd guess), that has no fish (or other critters) that will become prey to the columbian shark catfish - which makes the number of available marine tanks much lower - these aren't really "reef fish", which is what most people have in their marine tanks.

--
Mats

Return to “Other Catfishes”