Dried Banana Leaves and Indian Almond leaf teabags

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Corygal
My cats species list: 4 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 2: Hampshire, UK

Dried Banana Leaves and Indian Almond leaf teabags

Post by Corygal »

When I recently bought a group of, what we've now decided are, Corydoras Habrosus the guy I bought from used dried banana leaves to condition the water. I know you can use Oak leaves and I've seen the article on here about using them. He didn't boil the banana leaves though, just put them in the tank, dry. Anyone use these? Do they work as Oak leaves do?

He also used these little tea bags full of Indian Almond leaves to colour the water. Has anyone used these? How long do you leave it in the tank? :-\

Thank you ^:)^
mona o
Location 1: NORWAY
Location 2: Norway, near Oslo
Interests: All Corydoras, but also the small tetras like Hyphessobrycon amandae

Re: Dried Banana Leaves and Indian Almond leaf teabags

Post by mona o »

I've never tried banana leaves in one of my tanks, but I regularly use both catappa leaves (sea almond) and lots of oak leaves.

Thanks to eBay, I've found a supplier of Catappa leaves from Asia, and I usually put one or two (they are large, although I order "small" size)catappa leaf in each tank. Then I usually also put in a generous layer of dry and brown oak leaves on the bottom. Corydoras loves that, and many species use them to put their eggs on. Easy to pick eggs from the tank, just lift out the leaves with eggs on.
These leaves gives the water the "right taste and tint", to mimic the small creeks and ponds in the Amazon. They are always littered with thick layers of leaves from the surrounding trees.

I collect oak leaves during the autumn, when the leaves fall dry and brown on the ground. I give them a quick dip in a bucket of water, and then spread them out (indoors) on old news papers to dry. When dry, I collect them in a card board box to store them, but I would like to give a reminder to never store them in something of plastic. They might rotten if air isn't allowed through the storage container.

I've never "timed it" regarding to how long oak leaves "survive" in the tank, but my guess is that they last about 7-8 weeks. If you choose to siphon the remains out or just leave them there and put in new ones on top, is up to you. I know different aquarists that does both. Personally I like to remove them when they get old, and put in new ones.
When new, the leaves floats for a day or two, before they get water logged and sink. You might want to do this in a bucket - or in the tank directly. If you soak them in a bucket a couple of days first, they will sink directly when put in the tank. I like that option best.
Keep in mind that the water in the bucket with the leaves has very low ph level, so don't throw that water in the tank. It might give your fish a ph drop chock.
Last edited by mona o on 14 Nov 2011, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
"Cleanliness is next to Godliness when raising catfish"
Corygal
My cats species list: 4 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 2: Hampshire, UK

Re: Dried Banana Leaves and Indian Almond leaf teabags

Post by Corygal »

Many thanks Mona o. Very useful info :-BD

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”