cory or not - can you help identify?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
tracy41
Interests: planted aquaria, loaches, cory's, albino bristlenose pleco's

cory or not - can you help identify?

Post by tracy41 »

I found this catfish (only one in the tank) at the LFS, but it was marked only as corydoras. Not sure if it is even really a cory. All pictures are of the same fish. I have noticed that the dorsal fin is much higher/longer than my other cories and you can see that in the 4th picture (sorry for the blur, I just took these and this fella is a fast one). TIA

Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Looks like C. paleatus "Highfin" to me...should be some forum posts about it here...
cheers
Christian
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

That is a peppered cory (Corydoras paleatus). Possibly a male at that, given the size of the dorsal fin.
tracy41

Not sure its a peppered....reasoning

Post by tracy41 »

I've looked over the internet and at the info linked to peppered corydora, and I don't think this guy is a peppered. All the pictures I have seen are small black spots and this guy has small and large spots on the dorsal and tail fins as well as the body. Also, all the peppered cories I have seen have large spots down the back and then another group of large spots running laterally down the midsection on each side of the body. The spots on the cory in the picture are not in any specific pattern, they don't run in straight lines at all.

What about a garbei.....link
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/ca ... /477_1.htm

TIA
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

I don't think your fish is C. garbei as this species appears to have a more rounded snout than your fish (plus much smaller spots). The color pattern is a little unusual for C. paleatus, but is not really that far off (the size and approximate placement of the spots are about right).
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Tracy41

Your fish is possibly a Hi fin variation of C. paleatus, they are a distinct natural strain. The problem with C. paleatus is that until fairly recently almost all the C. paleatus comming into the hobby were fish farm bred and over the years the high dorsal fin has deminished through possible in breeding.

There are however two very similar species that have yet to be classified and your fish may turn out to be one of these.

The picture below is one of the possible new species.

Ian
tracy41

better pictures

Post by tracy41 »

I'm going to try and get some better pictures today. I went searching yesterday and found some "hi-fin" peppered cories (at least labeled that) yesterday for 8.99 a piece and got what they had, which was 4. I'll get some pictures of those in the Q-tank also, but from looking, the original doesn't appear to be a hi-fin (doesn't have the long-fins on the side) - Would they also need the side fins to be longer than normal to be considered a hi-fin or just the dorsal fin?

Thanks, TracyB
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

There are several different long-finned varieties of C. paleatus. I covered this in an earlier thread.

Return to “What is my catfish?”