Moving House

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Alison M
Location 2: West Lothian

Moving House

Post by Alison M »

Hi, I hope this is the appropriate part of the forum to post this type of message, apologies if it isn't. Apologies also if this is covered in another thread, but I couldn't find anything.

I have a 5' x 2' x 2' 100 gallon tank with an approx 18" Gibbiceps (or whatever they're now called...), a couple of doradids, a large pim ornatus and some inconsequential swimming things ;-)

I am now contemplating moving house, about a 20 minute drive from where I currently live. Has anyone any advice on how on earth to make the move? If it wasn't for the Gibbiceps I would probably be tempted to just break down the tank and give the fish away, but I have had him for 20 years since he was a baby, and there is no way I could give him away.

Are there professional companies who will move fish for you? Even lifting up the empty tank is a gigantic effort.

Many thanks in advance.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Moving House

Post by MatsP »

In an ideal world, you'd get access to the new house before you need to be out of your old house - 24 hours would be excellent. If not, you have to "prepare the move" in some way, so that you can do it pretty quickly.

I should probably write an article on "moving house with fish" with my experiences on moving fish-tanks with inhabitants, but here's a rough summary...

Before you do anything:
Make sure new house has electrics...

Things you need:
* A large tub of some sort for keeping the fish during move - ideally with a lid, but a sheet of plywood or similar will do in an emergency.
* Water containers with lid - I found Wickes plastic dustbins are a good value for money temporary water container - they hold nominally 90 liter, but filled with water the acceptable level is about 60-70 liter. [Not STRICTLY necessary if new location has same/similar water parameters]. Aim to keep at least HALF of the tanks volume.
* Lots of builders buckets or similar (local DIY store will have these at about a pound each, rinse and use).
* A removable, mature filter [something that isn't attached to the tank itself, and that works with the large tub above!]
* Removable (relatively low wattage) heater.
* Large vehicle - a Transit van will be good, but a large estate car would probably also work.
* Strong men to help lift heavy things

The process:
1. Fill large tub with tank-water, add heater and filter.
2. Empty more water into containers, until you have about 4 inches left above gravel - if not enough containers, just drain it.
3. Remove any decorations, plants, etc into builders bucket(s)
4. Move fish into tub.
5. Remove gravel into builders bucket(s). Do not overfill your bucket - it's better to stack them.
6. Empty out any remaining water (into drain - the water will probably be pretty mucky by now, so you do NOT want to keep it).
7. Move tank/stand/etc into your vehicle.
8. Move containers of water, decorations,etc into vehicle.
9. When everything is packed in the vehicle, unplug heater/filter from fish-tub and move it into the vehicle.
10. Drive to new location.
11. Plug heater/filter in at new location and make sure fish-tub is in a "safe" place.

The rest is essentially, as the Haynes manual says: "Assembly is reverse if disassembly", so unpack everything, fill gravel, decorations, plants and water back into tank, plug in heaters/filters into tank, get the fish in, and finally fill up any "lost" water. The tank will probably look a little bit grubby, but it'll settle as the particles either settle or the filter traps it. Clean the filter after a couple of days, to get rid of the stirred up muck.

Alternatives if you can't do the move in one go:
1. If you have a neighbour that can hold the fish for a few hours (in temporary tub), then you could dismantle the tank the day before, and stick everything in tubs/buckets/etc (if so, you probably want to keep the water containers with an airstone in them). Just make sure you keep the filter running.
2. Take the fish to the LFS for "holiday" over the move, then you have plenty of time to tear down/set up.
3. Find a friend, etc. that can take all/some of the fish for a few days.

All but the first method probably means that your filter will loose a bit of it's bacteria levels, so you may end up with a "mini cycle".

--
Mats
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

It might be helpful to add to the newly set-up tank something like BluuStart from Ferplast as i have had good success with "instantly" maturing tanks - ie within a few hours after water has been dechlorinated - this is an aid to a mature filter and existing water though.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Alison M
Location 2: West Lothian

Post by Alison M »

Thanks a million, that is fantastically helpful!

I am lucky in that I should have a while to move between the two houses, so nothing needs to be rushed and it can be done separately from the main move.

I've got two external filters and mat heating, so that makes that part of it easier. I just need to hire a transit and smile a lot at strong friends over the next few months. And hope I don't drop 50 gallons of water on the new carpets ;-)

Will let you know how I get on if the move goes ahead. The fish have been by far my main concern over basic things like actually being able to afford a higher mortgage...
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

Good luck! when you have him all set up may we see a pic of him please in his new home?

20 yrs old, well done!! :thumbsup:
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Good luck with everything. And do try not to spill 50 gallons of water on the new carpet - it's very messy when you do (or at least I think so, based on my experience with a few gallons!)

--
Mats

Return to “Speak Easy”