Science News: Siluridae - Pterocryptis inusitata

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Science News: Siluridae - Pterocryptis inusitata

Post by Silurus »

Synopsis by Erwin Schraml & Shane Linder

A new species of Pterocryptis was recorded from the Nam Theun River drainage in Laos. It had been previuosly misidentified by Kottelat (1998) and Ng & Kottelat (1998), in part, as Pterocryptis cochinchinensis. A black and white picture of the preserved holotype is included in the paper. Pterocryptis are usually found in fast-flowing mountain streams in India, Southeast Asia, and southern China. There are currently 14 nominal species of Pterocryptis, of which seven are found in Indochina: P. berdmorei (Blyth, 1860), P. bokorensis (Pellegrin & Chevey, 1937), P. buccata Ng & Kottelat, 1998, P. burmanensis (Kin Thant), 1966, P. cochinchinensis (Valenciennes, 1839), P. cucphuongensis (Mai, 1978), and P. torrentis (Kobayagawa, 1989).

Reference: Ng, H. H. 1999. Pterocryptis inusitata, a new species of silurid catfish from Laos (Teleostei: Siluriformes). Icthyol. Explor. Freshwaters, Vol. 10 No. 4: 371- 374, 2 figs.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”