Leirius marmoratus or Perrunichthys perruno?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
00 MooRRii 00
Location 1: Australia

Leirius marmoratus or Perrunichthys perruno?

Post by 00 MooRRii 00 »

Which do you think i have here? a perruno or a marmoratus? you decide! i have had some varying comments from others. I purchased it as a Leirius but if you live in Australia you will know that what you buy "exotics" as is not what you are getting most of the time. Eg Cichla monoculus being labeled as Cichla temensis and so on. BTW the catfish is 27".

Sorry about some of the pics not being of the best quality but i took them with a 1.3MP digital camera so they will have to make do. I am getting my new camera within a week so i will be able to take some close ups if needed.

Alex
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

Alex,

Pics look okay. I feel that it is a p. perruno but I didn't count the dorsal rays though. In my opinion the marmoratus has a fuller head.

Btw, is it you I see at Predatoryfish.net or Aquatiqterror?

Regards,
Mike D.
00 MooRRii 00

Post by 00 MooRRii 00 »

I used to go on on AT but not anymore, you will find me on http://www.aqua-addiction.com mostly and on pfish some of the time under the name Blazin_kronic.

Thanks for the reply.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

<i>Leiarius longibarbis</i> (<i>L. marmoratus</i> is a junior synonym). <i>Perrunichthys</i> has fewer dorsal-fin rays.
PeacockBass
Location 1: the Net
Interests: Fish,Girls,Competition,Games

Post by PeacockBass »

that is a Marmoratas.. a Bented up Nose marmoratas.
general-sherman
Location 1: australia/victoria
Interests: southamerican fish

shut up!

Post by general-sherman »

shut up peacockbass, leave catfish to the experts :lol:
this is a site for people who want to learn, not for children who want to put others down.
Meanwhile, Homer catches a legendary catfish, General Sherman, but to prove his love for Marge he throws it back in the lake...
00 MooRRii 00

Re: shut up!

Post by 00 MooRRii 00 »

general-sherman wrote:shut up peacockbass, leave catfish to the experts :lol:
this is a site for people who want to learn, not for children who want to put others down.
Well said. peacockbass- You are banned from 2 boards that i know of probably more for the way you interact with people and the way you constantly put people down, please do not bring your childish antics to this board. You know virtually nothing about fish keeping and have no real hands on experience, all you know is what you read on the net and what people tell you. I would appreciate if you didn't direct anymore of your comment/posts towards me.

Alex
PeacockBass

Post by PeacockBass »

well i still stand with my answere.. a BENT up nose marmoratus..

one of my small guys had it.. he unfortunatly was eaten... poor guy..i loved that fish..
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Peacock Bass,
I think the confusion here is that you are not familiar with taxonomic terminology. I do not mean that in an offensive way as most hobbyists probably are not familiar with many taxonomic terms.

HH said,
Leiarius longibarbis (L. marmoratus is a junior synonym). Perrunichthys has fewer dorsal-fin rays.
This means that the scientific name L. marmoratus is no longer valid. What does that mean? It means that the fish above can not be L. marmoratus as scientists have determined that there is no such species. The material (dead fish) used to describe L. marmoratus had already been described as L. longibarbis thus making L. marmoratus a junior synonym. Hope that helps,
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
PeacockBass

Post by PeacockBass »

Shane wrote:Peacock Bass,
I think the confusion here is that you are not familiar with taxonomic terminology. I do not mean that in an offensive way as most hobbyists probably are not familiar with many taxonomic terms.

HH said,
Leiarius longibarbis (L. marmoratus is a junior synonym). Perrunichthys has fewer dorsal-fin rays.
This means that the scientific name L. marmoratus is no longer valid. What does that mean? It means that the fish above can not be L. marmoratus as scientists have determined that there is no such species. The material (dead fish) used to describe L. marmoratus had already been described as L. longibarbis thus making L. marmoratus a junior synonym. Hope that helps,
-Shane
thank you shane.. Longibarbis it is then.. thanks... ;)

do you agree with me that it has a bent up nose? the mouth kinda curves down.. in all 8 of my Longibarbis i only had one with a kinda deformed mouth like that.
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

And this matters so much because?

Rusty
general-sherman

nose?

i agree with rusty.

in one sentence you say its nose is bent UP...and then you say it "kinda curves down"...
which is it then?
Meanwhile, Homer catches a legendary catfish, General Sherman, but to prove his love for Marge he throws it back in the lake...
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Post by jscoggs27 »

Hi,
changing subject slightly, please tell me about the clarias in your pic. How big is it how old, what species exactly, im a clarias fan so i wont bore you anymore, you can pm me or email me if you prefer.
Also got any more pics of it? id love some! :D
jason
00 MooRRii 00

Perruno

Post by 00 MooRRii 00 »

What is your problem? why do you always need to seek trouble on the internet? Please do not post in any of my threads all you seem to do is irritate people who always manage to see straight through you thin outter shell.

The fact of the matter is all you seem to care about is how big people tanks are. When the truth of the matter is you have owned atleast 20 large catfish in your 2years of fishkeeping and have "sold" them all, when in reality they all probably died due to keeping them all in a 180 with 200 other fish. Please do not preech your pathic teachings to me anyone. It is only a matter of time before you are banned from here too! im sure you will slip up soon and start slinging ur racist remarks around here also! which would be a shame because you would ruin thise board like you have done with a few already!
PeacockBass

Post by PeacockBass »

that fish is Leiarius Longibarbis
general-sherman

duh

i was under the impression that was already established...
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Perruno

Post by Jools »

00 MooRRii 00 wrote:What is your problem? why do you always need to seek trouble on the internet? Please do not post in any of my threads all you seem to do is irritate people who always manage to see straight through you thin outter shell.

The fact of the matter is all you seem to care about is how big people tanks are. When the truth of the matter is you have owned atleast 20 large catfish in your 2years of fishkeeping and have "sold" them all, when in reality they all probably died due to keeping them all in a 180 with 200 other fish. Please do not preech your pathic teachings to me anyone. It is only a matter of time before you are banned from here too! im sure you will slip up soon and start slinging ur racist remarks around here also! which would be a shame because you would ruin thise board like you have done with a few already!
This is off topic. Please point me to the posts on this board to back up your comment so I can take appropriate action.

Jools
Last edited by Jools on 13 Jul 2003, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

This topic is in danger of devolving into a steaming pile of mudslinging. I am well aware of peacock bass' activities elsewhere. I, personally, think it somewhat childish to state your location as "the net" which (beside being somewhat obvious) belies lack of confidence in your own ability to stand up and be counted and in a postive, mature forum. That said, we have discussed the ID of the fish, been enlightended by Silurus and jscoggs has asked a perfectly good question about the Clarias. Do continue, if you really need to sling stuff around do it by PM, but be warned next person to step out of line will get banned - I don't have time to go around changing nappies (diapers) - but we have a strong enough mod team to carry that sort of thing out.

This is the first ever post I have had to write on this subject. Keep it the last.

Jools
00 MooRRii 00

ok

Post by 00 MooRRii 00 »

Fair enough. I was warning you, i have somewhat sorted out my problems with this individual. Although I do not see any reaosn to ban anyone yet. Especially seeing as all the posts have ben "adult like" no need to start threatening people with being banned. I would rather not post up the link in which he was racist towards me and my entire continent.

Return to “What is my catfish?”